Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   I Have 60-80 Fish Fry, How Do I...? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/i-have-60-80-fish-fry-255865/)

KuNika 08-27-2013 02:42 AM

I Have 60-80 Fish Fry, How Do I...?

I have lots of baby fish. I don't breed any, I even didn't realize I have a female fish. The store I bought my fish from separated fish by gender, I think some how they accidentally mixed them...

So after a week I have my new tank, I found lots of fish fry. I already moved most to 8 gal tank. They're around 30-50. Any suggestion how big should I buy new tank?

They're 3 weeks now, some that left in the big tank with adult fish survived so far (I'm planning to move them to the new tank soon I could buy the new one). But I really am curious what kind of fish are they actually are... Can anyone help with this? Because none of the babies look like any fish I have so far...

Any suggestion for their food? Or they already big enough for common food? I use Sera Micron Growth Food but always make my water so green, I have to change water often and really wish I have solutions for this...

Thanks

1077 08-27-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KuNika (Post 2890969)
I have lots of baby fish. I don't breed any, I even didn't realize I have a female fish. The store I bought my fish from separated fish by gender, I think some how they accidentally mixed them...

So after a week I have my new tank, I found lots of fish fry. I already moved most to 8 gal tank. They're around 30-50. Any suggestion how big should I buy new tank?

They're 3 weeks now, some that left in the big tank with adult fish survived so far (I'm planning to move them to the new tank soon I could buy the new one). But I really am curious what kind of fish are they actually are... Can anyone help with this? Because none of the babies look like any fish I have so far...

Any suggestion for their food? Or they already big enough for common food? I use Sera Micron Growth Food but always make my water so green, I have to change water often and really wish I have solutions for this...

Thanks

Well judging from info under your aquarium's ,and with no pictures of fry,,could be young mollie's,platy's or guppies (Guppies will stay smaller).
I might were it me,,select 55 gal tank which would give lot's more room and be more stable than smaller volume of water with moderate to large fish loads.
I might consider food's such as spirulina flake,dried marine algae,along with quality flake food such as Omega,or Ocean nutrition.
Might also select best looking males maybe two or three , when you can sex them (google this)and four to eight females for 55 gal and see if fish store would take some of the fry off your hand's.
Female Live bearer's can store sperm from earlier mating's which happen's often in store tank's, so the fry may or may not be same color's as those the females are with presently.
Is good to present females with new males every few month's so that fishes of same spawn do not breed with brother's,sister's,which over time (in my expierience),,result's in fewer fry,deformed fry,still born fry,and weaker genetic's which may result in fish that are sickly more often.
hope some of this help's,
If this tank is only a week old,, and no borrowed filter media from an existing cycled tank was used to start it,I would perform daily 25 to 35 % water changes with dechlorinated water for the next three week's,and feed the fish tiny amount's of food maybe once a day .
May lose some fish ,but with the daily water changes which should not be too tough for 20 gal tank? some may survive.

jaysee 08-27-2013 08:31 AM

welcome to the forum

The question really isn't what to do with THIS batch of fry.....but what to do with the subsequent batches. Unless you get rid of them (one way or another), they will overpopulate your tank, even if you get a big one. Since you weren't looking to breed these fish, I would do a lot of research on it and decide if it's something you really want to do before going out and investing that kind of money. Prolific breeders like that are not easy to give away. If you don't have a store that will take them, then your best bet would be to find someone who wants them for feeders, so that they can take them off your hands at regular intervals.

KuNika 08-27-2013 11:46 PM

Hope This Plan Good Enough

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...69753976_n.jpg

This is the closest I could get

Thanks 1077 and Jaysee, I got great insight now.

For bigger than 20-25gal tank I don't think I have enough room, so I might buy 20-25 gal tanks and just keep 1-2 of each fry colors and hope they'll fit there (So far I think they're white-yellow, silver, black, yellow, and yellow-black). -I'm not good in counting gallon, so please correct me if I'm wrong that 20-25 gallon tank is a 60cmx45cmx40cm tank?

Still trying to find store that would accept them, you are very right Jaysee I don't think I'm able to keep them all now, how I can I handle any next batch... :( I really love those babies, hope I'll able to give them up soon. -How fast actually a fish can breed again?

And for food, I'm still looking for it, not easy to find those food in my area... I think I feed them too much, I only think of how much they are and forgot they're so tiny and only eat so little :oops:

jaysee 08-27-2013 11:50 PM

They have approximately a 30 day gestation period.

Put an add on craigslist for them, or contact your local fish club to find someone that wants feeders.

Sylverclaws 10-16-2013 09:05 AM

I can't see what they are from that photo. It'd help if you told us what you BOUGHT originally. lol It -looks- like they could be either mollies or swordtails, I'm guessing mollies...

If you have livebearers, they are prolific breeders. Small tanks will do nothing but kill everyone off eventually. It depends what type you have. All colors can interbreed since they're the same species of fish, and sometimes you end up with a lot of oddballs of random colors and genes, they can also mate with more than one male.

Now if you have mollies or swordtails, they need about 6-8+ gallons per fish. Be sure you have the space for them!

Platies also need 5-6 gallons each.

Guppies can handle smaller tanks than most of the livebearers, but they still need at least 15 gallons per group of five. Some people keep them in ten gallon tanks, but that's pushing it a lot even with dense planting and good filtration.

Livebearers can actually drop babies every two weeks or so(I've had three platies that loved to drop twice a month, and two mollies that did the same...only one swordtail did that to me, never had guppies do it but it is possible). They can grow multiple broods, and can do this once or twice a month for up to a year without mating a second time. They store sperm and can fertilize or hold as they choose.

Again, it depends on the type of fish you have to tell you how much space you will need. I'd assume about 75-100+ gallons depending on the type. That is, if you want to KEEP them all. If you just want to raise them until they're big enough, a 40-50 gallon tank should suffice. If you have a tank that is that big for your adults, getting a 20-30 gallon tank to raise them in until big enough to be with the adults should suffice, provided you have no further babies, split the numbers between the tanks, do extra cleaning, have a lot of live plants and at least two filters in the big tank. lol Livebearers have a pretty high bioload, so unless you want sick fish, either get a giant tank and work with it a lot, or find a shop that will take the fry, or buy them once they hit the one inch mark.

That's what I do. I've been breeding mollies, platies, swordtails and guppies for a few years now...I have a ten and twenty gallon nursery and a 55 gallon tank, all tanks have good planting, the big tank has two filters...I still get swamped! Unless you want to get swamped, I'd take back the female fish, or find and separate her from the males until you can get several, or one large nursery set up. If you put up video, it'll be easier for us to tell you about the babies, and maybe even find your female for you should the video be of good quality.