Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   10 gallon betta tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/10-gallon-betta-tank-25542/)

mullinsd2 07-02-2009 09:22 AM

10 gallon betta tank

I am looking to add one fish to my 10 gallon betta tank in the near future, and I have read that a cory could be a great addition! I would just like any tips and recommendations for the fish; including the food they like, temp. substrate and anything else! I already have about 5 live plants in the tank, but I want to add a piece of drift wood before introducing the cory so that there will be plenty ofplaces to get away from the Betta if there is a chance of any problems.:-)

DragonFish 07-02-2009 08:48 PM

Hello mullinsd2 :-)
Corys and bettas will get along just fine, but corys are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of around 5-6. Adding onto that, most species would be to large to put the right amount in a ten gallon. I'd suggest perhaps 5 Pygmy Corys? They'd be the only ones small enough.
They also do best in sand substrate, though small, round gravel will do. So long as their aren't any sharp pieces of gravel/the gravel isn't too large you shouldn't have any issues ;-)
Unfortunately it is a common misconception that they are good 'cleanup fish'. They will eat flakes(or pellets)that fall down to their level but need to be fed on algae wafers and shrimp pellets daily as well.

Hope this helps :-D

mullinsd2 07-02-2009 09:12 PM

Hmm. Maybe I will be better off staying away from them; unless those pygmy's are really small. I enjoy not having a high bio load in my tank, and do not want to sacrifice water quality just to satisfy my want for a tank mate for my Betta, Spoch.

DragonFish 07-03-2009 09:26 AM

I can see your point, a single fish or two is always much easer ;-)
I'm not entirely sure exactly how small they are as I can't seem to find any 'round here, but from what I've read they get only about an inch, half the size of normal Corys.

mullinsd2 07-03-2009 10:31 AM

Lol ya, much easier! Also, I am in the process of setting up a sw tank... expensive to say the least.

DragonFish 07-03-2009 06:38 PM

Haha, lucky. I don't think I'd ever have the patients(or the finances)for a SW setup :lol:
Best of luck ;-)

mullinsd2 07-03-2009 11:29 PM

I feel like I am running out of patience, but I know it will all pay off in the end! It's taking much,much longer than I thought it would.

Cody 07-04-2009 12:49 AM

Once you hit reefing, you never want to go back. Ive been reefing for 14 months now. :-)

mullinsd2 07-04-2009 11:24 AM

I am so ready for it lol. I just sit here sometimes and try to imagine how things will look. I still have to get a light though !!! Thats a good 300 bucks right there, then I should be good to go. Good info for now. amm. 0 nitrite 0 and nitrats right at 0 !!! WHOO HOOO