Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Is my Rainbow Shark sick? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/my-rainbow-shark-sick-25531/)

FISH2LIVEBY 07-01-2009 10:26 PM

Is my Rainbow Shark sick?

I have a 20g aquarium and have had an Albino Rainbow Shark in it for about 3 months, since I got the aquarium. I read that I shouldn't get another rainbow shark but since we loved him/her so much we got another, a regular rainbow shark about 1 month ago. The 2 get along fine. They don't bother each other and have their own hiding spots. The thing is, my albino has been hiding facing straight up behind the filter for the last few days.
Info: My orange Balloon Bellied Molly looked odd a week ago. Was scratching at the bottom and kind of white by the topfin so I figured I'd treat for velvet. I put in a protazoan med and hope things work out. I was afraid to add an antibiotic as I was scared of messing up the tank bacteria. The shark showed/shows no symptoms. I don't know why he/she is hiding. I am assuming it's sick. But I am hoping she is about to lay eggs or something as I am a laymen and am completely in denail. I found a molly dead back there last week. Is it going there to die? Water tests have been perfect for weeks (nitates/nitrates/ph/hardness/kh). We have been leaving strawb erries in the tank as it loves to eate them. Could this be a problem? Please help! I'm worried about my "Coral"!:-?:cry:

aunt kymmie 07-02-2009 01:09 AM

Strawberries?? :shock: Not something found in nature as part of a fish's natural diet. Unless they are organic strawberries it's possible they were treated w/ something to treat the bugs that like to eat strawberries??
I have no idea what's wrong with your fish but I wouldn't add anymore strawberries to the tank.

FISH2LIVEBY 07-02-2009 11:39 AM

That's something I haven't thought of. I have been giving my snails a lot of fruits/veggies and the fish seem to like it too. The fish store guy told me to feed my fish as many different kinds of foods as possible including fruits and veggies (specifically mentioning that his fish love red bell peppers!) to make the fish as colorful as possible. I didn't think about buying organic for the fish. Something to think about.

aunt kymmie 07-02-2009 12:18 PM

I supplement with spinach leaves for my otos' feedings and I always buy organic, just to be on the safe side. You just never know what chemicals or fertilizers have been used in the growing of unorganic fruits & veggies.

frmrgrl87 01-24-2010 06:48 PM

My rainbow shark, Bruce, often "hides" behind the heater. Do you have caves or such in your tank, i know they like time to themselves. I don't have caves, but have dense plants. However my RBS also would rather hide behind the heater. He doesn't stay there real long tho and is very veRY active when he comes out.

Tjross 02-08-2010 02:01 PM

My rainbow shark is swimming near the top of the tank nose up as well, sometimes behind the heater. It just started doing this a while ago, it usually stays near the bottom of the tank. Im wondering if it is sick as well.........