Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   German blue rams and zebra danios (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/german-blue-rams-zebra-danios-2543/)

musho3210 01-16-2007 07:27 PM

German blue rams and zebra danios

I would love to own a couple of german blue rams in my 20 gallon, i currently have 7 zebra danios, i have 2 coconut caves, a large overhang cave, lots of fake plants and one live real java moss patch. Could i fit around 2 blue rams?

I am a begginer and these might not fit me, if not, are there any other ram like fish for my tank?

Lupin 01-16-2007 09:35 PM

Blue rams should be fine. Make sure there is no nitrites and ammonia as blue rams are sensitive to water conditions. Otherwise, try Bolivian rams.:)

musho3210 01-17-2007 03:44 PM

ok, well i have nitrites but im still cycling and im trying to plan ahead on what fish i should get next. Since you said bolivian rams seem more hardy, i will probably get them.

I am trying to lower my ph a bit the safe way (im using coconut shells and will soon try Co2 if nessicary, my plants will like the extra CO2 anyway) So currently its around 7.4-7.6 in the tank with a 7.7 tap water ph. The hardness is 100 ppm so i think this is considered soft.

Lonewolfblue 01-17-2007 06:22 PM

Yes, Bolivian Rams are more hardy. If you do decide on the GBR's, wait about 6 months before getting them, as you not only want a cycled tank, but one that's matured as well. The tank will be fairly mature in 6 months. And do realize that the Bolivians will get to about 3-3.5 inches each, smaller for the female. My adult male is about 3.5" and the female is just under 3".

musho3210 01-17-2007 06:41 PM

oh, i finished cycling, today to be more precise, but my tank isnt mature yet, i might stick with bolivians, now i need to start studying, i'll get 1 male and 1 female in hopes of reproducing :wink:

musho3210 01-17-2007 08:24 PM

last question, will rams eat my shrimp?? the shrimp are ghost shrimp btw???

Lonewolfblue 01-17-2007 08:27 PM

Possibly, yes. And definitely the baby ghost shrimp.

Also, Bolivians are much harder to sex. So be prepared to get 2 of the same sex, as you can't always tell the difference when young. GBR's are easy to sex. And Bolivian babies are easier to raise, where GBR's are very tough to raise, as they die with any small change to your tank.

musho3210 01-17-2007 08:31 PM

i dont mind them eating the babies, my ghost shrimp seem to have gotten bigger so will they fit in the rams mouth? i would hav to say there about... 1.5-cm long, i could take them out and place them in my .5 gallon empty fish bowl and wait for them to grow before returning them to my main tank, or if the bowl isnt big enough, i could use my 10 gallon quarantine tank. THere are also tons and tons of hiding spots

Lupin 01-17-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210

May depend. I have both rams and neither of them ate my ghost shrimps.:) But ghost shrimps are far too big for the blue rams' small mouth compared to the bolivians.

Lonewolfblue 01-17-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210

May depend. I have both rams and neither of them ate my ghost shrimps.:) But ghost shrimps are far too big for the blue rams' small mouth compared to the bolivians.

Completely agree. And if the Bolivians are young when you get them, then if they are raised with ghost shrimp in the tank, they will be less likely to eat them when they are bigger. Java moss makes for great hiding places for the shrimp too.