Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   changing my tank from marine to tropical (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/changing-my-tank-marine-tropical-254209/)

haden 08-24-2013 03:21 PM

changing my tank from marine to tropical

I am just at the thinking stage at the moment about changing my marine tank to a tropical set up.

My tank is a 4x 2 x 2 100 gal (english not US) with a 15 gal sump. The sump contains my filtration which I know will not be needed for a tropical set up

The tank and sump will have to be thoroughly cleaned to remove all coraline from the rear glass. There is a weir in the tank for the water return to the sump and the water is returned to the tank with a 5000LPH pump and I have 2 power heads in the tank, both of which are 6500 LPH each.

I was thinking of removing the weir and fitting new pipework to the sump to give more 'swim' room.

My lighting is a LED unit full length of the tank which is rated at 240 watt. This can be adjusted and in fact at the moment, I am only running at 65% for the marine system.

I would want to have a fully planted tropical set up and my main concerns are what water to use. tap water or RO water?
What will be the best form of filtration for the sump?
Will my lights be ok just turned down?
Will I be able to use my present power heads or would it be advisable to get smaller ones?

Looking forward to any advise.

Dennis

MetalArm3 08-25-2013 10:28 AM

Your LEDs will work, but like you said they will have to be turned down to maybe around 30% full power. RO water is always better as its cleaner but in a freshwater setup, tap water with conditioner works well and is convenient. You would want to get smaller Powerheads, over 1,000gph is way to strong for most freahwater fish as they come from clamer environments. As for filtration, you can run your sump as a wet/dry filtration system (that's the one with bio balls). If you have a refugium, take in out as its not needed.

MetalArm3
Posted via Mobile Device

spreadtoothinly 08-25-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Will I be able to use my present power heads or would it be advisable to get smaller ones?

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...#ixzz2cztDGHBE
You don't need power heads, in fact, It's (usually) batter if you DON'T.

MetalArm3 08-26-2013 08:56 AM

You need some water flow in the tank. If your stock filters can't contribute enough water movement/water agitation, then I recommend a small powerhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

beaslbob 08-26-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haden (Post 2874025)
I am just at the thinking stage at the moment about changing my marine tank to a tropical set up.

My tank is a 4x 2 x 2 100 gal (english not US) with a 15 gal sump. The sump contains my filtration which I know will not be needed for a tropical set up

The tank and sump will have to be thoroughly cleaned to remove all coraline from the rear glass. There is a weir in the tank for the water return to the sump and the water is returned to the tank with a 5000LPH pump and I have 2 power heads in the tank, both of which are 6500 LPH each.

I was thinking of removing the weir and fitting new pipework to the sump to give more 'swim' room.

My lighting is a LED unit full length of the tank which is rated at 240 watt. This can be adjusted and in fact at the moment, I am only running at 65% for the marine system.

I would want to have a fully planted tropical set up and my main concerns are what water to use. tap water or RO water?

Tap water is fine
Quote:

What will be the best form of filtration for the sump?
I use fast growing plants as the only filtration. You could even use the existing sump to grow plants in as a FW refugium. In that way you could have plant eating fish in the display
Quote:

Will my lights be ok just turned down?
just adjust duration so the plants grow but not algae. I use 6500k shop lights but you probably still want to use the expensive stuff you already have.
Quote:

sure you can keep the powerheads but they are totally not necessary with most planted setups.
Quote:

Looking forward to any advise.

Dennis
Hope that helps

my .02