Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Filtration help with 45 gal hex (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/filtration-help-45-gal-hex-25387/)

Romad 06-28-2009 02:57 PM

Filtration help with 45 gal hex

Hi all,

Just joined the forum today after my bi-weekly water change. I'm new to this fishy thing and have had a fully cycled tank for approx. 3 months. My bf bought me a 45 gal hex tank for christmas and altho i love the looks of it, I think my filtration system could be better. I feed my fish sparingly (what they can eat under two mins) twice daily with a variety of flakes and micro-pellets. Still the amount of crap that comes out of the gravel is more than I would expect.

I have a Penquin bio-wheel 200 and like the idea of the bio filtration but the problem is that I can't move up to the bio 300 or higher because of the shape of my tank. Each side is only 12" wide and the larger models of the bio filters require 16" of hanging space.

Having said that, I'm not married to the bio-wheel type filter; I just want the best filtration so that my fish thrive.

My family consists of:

4 serpae tetras
4 green tiger barbs
3 pristella tetra
3 emperor tetra
2 rainbow bosmani (sp?)
3 small albino catfish
1 algae eater

Anyone else out there with a hex that has a kick-butt system?

Thanks and looking forward to being part of the community :lol:

sean117Ply 07-01-2009 04:40 AM

How about just an large internal filter, or even a canister filter?

Romad 07-01-2009 06:49 AM

Thanks. I'm reading up on the diff. types. Just wondering if anyone has the same tank and what they're using.

On a better note, we noticed that the intake tube wasn't set for optimum "sucking". We'll see if that helps.

Tyyrlym 07-01-2009 08:00 AM

How deep is the tank? Your stocking looks fine for a tank this size but if you're having issues with gunk I'd suspect it could be the tank's depth. Also, how deep into the tank is your filter's intake?

1077 07-01-2009 08:44 AM

I have similar problem with recently set up 56 gal coloumn tank. It came with an Emperor 280 that just doesn't do the job to my liking. I considered placing a spare Emperor 400 on the tank but the center brace of the tank prevents it. Am prolly gonna put another emperor280 on the other side. It is the depth of the tank to be sure that is making the use of one filter inadequate. If I had the funds, I would slap a canister filter on the tank capable of turning over four to six times the volume of water and be done with it.:-(

Tyyrlym 07-01-2009 02:05 PM

If you could put the intake down low in the tank it would certainly help with the flow in the tank.

1077 07-02-2009 02:31 AM

Even with the extension provided with Emperor filters,which places intake approx, three inches from the substrate,, there just isn't enough filtration. Tank houses,one four inch Angelfish,six Bleeding heart Tetras,five Julii corydoras,and one long finned albino Bristlenose. Am considering placing a hot Magnum I have for water polishing on the tank as opposed to adding another Emperor 280 and see how that does.

Romad 07-02-2009 04:40 PM

Thanks for the input.

I'm pretty sure the bio wheel 300 has a longer intake tube so i'm going to try to order that and hope it fits on my 200 filter. If not, I'll look further into the canister filters but from what I hear, they're a biatch to clean. And I need to figure out how to keep my "good" bacteria when switching.

Either way, whatever is best for the tank. I took some pix yesterday so hope to have some time over the weekend to post them.