Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What Fish for a Biube 35L (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-fish-biube-35l-25371/)

PDGC 06-28-2009 06:29 AM

What Fish for a Biube 35L

We are new to fish keeping and have limited space. Having visited numerous aquatic centres and looking on the internet we went for the Biube 35L cold water aquarium. We have just ordered this on the internet.

We were hoping to have two fantails however we have read conflicting advice on the internet on whether this would overstock the aquarium.

I have read another thread on this forum which states that two Goldfish, two minnows and a couple of snails would be okay.

Could we substitute the Goldfish (which we are not keen on) for Fantails?

How many fantails could we have in the 35L Biube and what if any are good companions?

Are there any other suggestions for combinations of cold water fish for the 35L Biube?

Many thanks in advance

Lupin 06-28-2009 07:21 AM

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

35 liters = less than 10 gallons

Unfortunately, your tank is too small to support even one. With fancy goldfish, a general guideline would be 15g per fish. Pond types such as shubunkins, comets and common goldfish require at least 20g per fish as these ones generally are feistier, larger and require more space to swim around. The fancy ones can reach at least 8-10 inches depending on the water conditions provided for them. For financial issues, Craiglist is your best bet for deals (assuming you're in US of course). This does not mean you can keep one goldfish for a 15/20g as solitary ones will pine away considering these are sociable fish by nature. The guideline applies better on large tanks. If you want for instance a 55g, you could fit at least 3-4 fancies in there. A 75g can support 2-3 pond types.

Your options are limited. You could try shrimps and snails in there. If you want snails, let me know and I'll hand you some information you may want.

PDGC 06-28-2009 10:53 AM

Thanks for the reply Lupin.

It seems bizzare that the Biube website clearly advertises the Biube with Gold Fish in it, and within their FAQ section they actually suggest one fan tail and six minnows!!

Leaving any type of Gold Fish aside, would the aquarium be big enough for any other type of cold water fish, for example 6 minnows or rice fish.

Lupin 06-29-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDGC (Post 209681)
Thanks for the reply Lupin.

It seems bizzare that the Biube website clearly advertises the Biube with Gold Fish in it, and within their FAQ section they actually suggest one fan tail and six minnows!!

Leaving any type of Gold Fish aside, would the aquarium be big enough for any other type of cold water fish, for example 6 minnows or rice fish.

I'm hoping they change in their ads in time because their ads give the wrong impression about goldfish.:-( In substandard water conditions, the goldfish easily develop red streaks on their fins and it is a rather unpleasant sight to the ones familiar to this condition.

Anything that does not exceed 1.5 inch as adults will work fine.

sean117Ply 06-30-2009 03:35 AM

How about stick a heater in there and go for some small Guppies? or other small tropical fish, I find them easier then goldfish.