Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Can some one point me in the right direction (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/can-some-one-point-me-right-25313/)

RogueGypsy 06-26-2009 01:23 PM

Can some one point me in the right direction

I just picked up a 110g former reef tank on CL. I'm going to convert it into a fresh water tank for Cichlids.

I haven't decided on types yet as I know little about this family of fish and I have other plans for the tank as well. Here's the skinny:

I want a planted tank with a black sand bottom, a couple of bog logs and likely I will do one of the DIY rock backgrounds I've seen posted here. I also have 5-Kuhlii Loaches, 2- Gold Dojo loaches and a large Dojo Loach that I would like to have in the tank. My LFC owner has convinced me that a tank with a lot of current, with weekly water changes is healthier than a filtered tank (he has several planted/fish tanks in the shop set up like this that are stunning). So this is the route I'm going to take with it, using (4) circulators and a controller to vary direction and speed. The overall effect should be a placid riverine environment.

Can someone point me in the diretion of a good compatability chart for fish species and plants??

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome as well,

TIA,

Brock

willow 06-27-2009 10:42 AM

no idea,but i hope someone can help you.

buzz4520 06-27-2009 01:04 PM

cichlids and live plants aren't a good combo. africans like a more of a rocky surounding and they like to dig in the gravel/sand. the larger sa/ca like more of a wide open surounding and are diggers as well. there maybe some of the smaller sa/ca that may be ok with live plants. hopes this helps out alittle.

Byron 06-28-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueGypsy (Post 209189)
I just picked up a 110g former reef tank on CL. I'm going to convert it into a fresh water tank for Cichlids.

I haven't decided on types yet as I know little about this family of fish and I have other plans for the tank as well. Here's the skinny:

I want a planted tank with a black sand bottom, a couple of bog logs and likely I will do one of the DIY rock backgrounds I've seen posted here. I also have 5-Kuhlii Loaches, 2- Gold Dojo loaches and a large Dojo Loach that I would like to have in the tank. My LFC owner has convinced me that a tank with a lot of current, with weekly water changes is healthier than a filtered tank (he has several planted/fish tanks in the shop set up like this that are stunning). So this is the route I'm going to take with it, using (4) circulators and a controller to vary direction and speed. The overall effect should be a placid riverine environment.

Can someone point me in the diretion of a good compatability chart for fish species and plants??

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome as well,

TIA,

Brock

As mentioned by buzz4520, larger cichlids have issues. The first thing you need to decide is what type of cichlids, and then design the tank and select suitable tankmates for those cichlids. As you've mentioned loaches it won't be African rift lake cichlids so you're presumably looking at the small cichlids from South America, like Apistogramma species, rams, etc. These will enjoy the same water parameters and setup as loaches. As for plants, many of the swords, crypts, and aponogeton are good rooted plants requiring moderate light, and stem plants would work (provided you have the light, they generally need more intense light), and floating plants like water sprite (Ceratopteris) would provide some shading that dwarf cichlids and loaches would prefer.