Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   cross breeding livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/cross-breeding-livebearers-253/)

firearies 08-21-2006 10:03 PM

cross breeding livebearers

I read that endlers can breed with other livebearers. I was wondering which other livebearers can cross breed with each other. Do they go by class, species, ect.? I don't want to have any of my fish doing this. I have fancy guppies, and green swordtails right now.

Nick 08-21-2006 10:08 PM

Hi and welcome to FishForum.com
About your question, your guppy's and swordtails will not ever ' cross ' breed. If im wrong, if i am than correct me someone, fish only will breed with there own species. Swordtails with swordtails, guppy's with guppy's etc....

Hope it helps :D

Nick

joeshmoe 08-21-2006 10:18 PM

nicks right like a sailfin molly and a bollon molly can cross breed but a molly and guppy cant.

Lupin 08-21-2006 10:31 PM

Endlers and guppies will obviously interbreed.http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/ubb/wink.gif Another reason why you can't mix Endlers and guppies.
Swordtails and platies will interbreed thus creating a variatus platy.
Xiphophorus helleri(swordtail)+Xiphophorus maculatus(platy)= Xiphophorus variatus(variatus)
Mollies will interbreed regardless of what strain they are. Balloon mollies are just an abnormal strain of mollies. Take note that there are species of mollies commonly available: Poeciliid spheneops, latipinna and velifera. Spheneops is a cross of latipinna and velifera.

firearies 08-22-2006 08:05 AM

So little miss mollies are fine with the swordtails and guppies. Do you guys know of any thing else that will, I'd love to have something that is a little less common. But I'm wanting all livebearers. With the laoches and cory, I'll become very angry :evil: if I had fish that spawned and had their eggs eaten. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Plus the water conditions that I have are good for livebearers. After many loses, I gave up on barbs and cardinal tetras. :cry: By the way, hello and nice to "meet" you.

Lupin 08-22-2006 07:33 PM

Hi firearies,

Livebearers don't lay eggs. Only cories and loaches will do. However, cories will easily breed in your community provided you got 2 males and one female. That's the recommended ratio. With loaches, then your cory eggs will be eaten.
Loaches will also eat the fry of the livebearers but not the cories.

As for your barbs and tetras, you may not have cycled the tank hence their deaths. You need to cycle the tank in order for them to live without too much extreme changes in the water chemistry. Cardinals aren't suitable for tanks which are just establishing in the early stages.
Danios and platies are hardy fish and will survive during cycling. However, I'd recommend you go to Fishless Cycle rather than cycling with fish.

joeshmoe 08-22-2006 08:01 PM

panda cory just laid eggs but i dont have a mate for her :cry:

girlofgod 08-26-2006 01:24 PM

so i have a pineapple swordtail and a sunburst platy...and they will interbreed? grrr...im not ready to have babies! lol

bri

Lupin 08-26-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlofgod
so i have a pineapple swordtail and a sunburst platy...and they will interbreed?

Yes they will readily interbreed. Resulting fry is Xiphophorus variatus or Variegated Platy.

saganco 11-04-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlofgod
so i have a pineapple swordtail and a sunburst platy...and they will interbreed? grrr...im not ready to have babies! lol

bri

TOO funny!! If that's the case, live bearers might not be for you - mine are VERY prolific! I have 3 types of Plattys and 2 types of Mollies and all bear young pretty often - though not that many get to be teenagers! Natural selection and all... I think my siamese algae eaters have laid eggs that have hatched - I have a few mystery babies that look NOTHING like mollies or plattys. Anyway - have fun with them, the babies really are fun to watch grow up (which likely won't happen if they don't have plants to hide in).
Sharon