Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   loosing my fight with algae (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/loosing-my-fight-algae-25296/)

Unrulyevil 06-25-2009 08:58 PM

loosing my fight with algae

I keep loosing my fight with algae, it's not the green stuff on the glass.. it is far uglier than that. It's my plants, black spots all over my poor plants. Every time new leaf comes out it stays green for 3 days max before it turns in to dark green with black spots all over monstrosity. I do not want to use chemicals.. even though I do have algaefix that is said to be gentle on plants.. So.. I have decided to cover tank completely so that I can kill it all:twisted: My question is.. How long should tank stay covered? Should I turn off filter?

Thanks guys.

SinCrisis 06-26-2009 08:04 AM

2 days no light no peeking. Seeing as how ur plants are already suffering, it may kill of a couple of the weaker ones. Ive seen people do a blackout for longer but ur really risking ur plants i think if they're having trouble growing. THey they are healthy and just ugly cuz of the algae then you should be ok.

Blaxicanlatino 06-26-2009 08:29 AM

a black out may or may not work cause even thought algae is a very simple creature, it also some really tough stuff. Im not sure what kind of algae you have but it sounds as it may be possible to be a first sign of black beard algae or green spot algae. I recomment checking your water parameters.

Keep up the fight :D

SinCrisis 06-26-2009 08:40 AM

Well in my 46 gallon i had black beard, hair, green spot, brown diatoms, and taht stanrad green algae and i keep 1 SAE and 5 otos right now and its all gone... I do still think a blackout may help. Although simple plants they will die from teh blackout and will return if the source of your problem isnt fixed such as your water conditions, filtration, lighting etc. Use the blackout as relief for your platns but test oyur water and adjust lighting times.

Unrulyevil 06-26-2009 08:43 AM

Water seems fine, water changes 2 times a week, + I got myself 12W UV sterilizer. I do not really add anything to the tank except for little micro nutrients like Seachem Flourish.

SinCrisis 06-26-2009 11:37 AM

well a UV sterilizer should kill off a good amount of your algae spores... but ti also kills good bacteria doesnt it? Anyway hows it working for you?

Unrulyevil 06-26-2009 12:01 PM

hehe as to UV.. i do not see any difference for now... .. well water does smell a bit better and my mechanical filter is a lot dirtier than what it was.. which makes be believe that algae particles in the water being killed off and sucked out by regular filter.. so I think its working.

SinCrisis 06-26-2009 12:24 PM

ive always wanted to get a UV sterilizer... but i heard the bulb needs to be changed once every 6 months and that they're fairly expensive

Unrulyevil 06-26-2009 01:48 PM

I also knew and saw that UV's were rather expensive until I found a topic here on forum where this guy bough his UV for less than 50$ so.. I bough one for myself.

Go to Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head and UV Sterilizer Lamp Replacements - UV Sterilizers - Filtration & Circulation - PetSmart when you at check out just apply one of the discount codes .. for like 5$ and you I'll get one really cheap.

Replacement bulb is 15$ and it says that bulb like that will last for 8000 to 12000 hours.. well.. that is a good run.
Good luck.