Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fast Cycling for 25 Gallon Tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fast-cycling-25-gallon-tank-25253/)

FishySuzy 06-24-2009 08:36 PM

Fast Cycling for 25 Gallon Tank.

I'm getting a 25 gallon tank on Friday! Whoo-hoo. I'm SUPER excited as this would be the biggest tank I've had (I CAN GET A PLECO!!) and I can now have a nursery/breeding/hospital tank instead.

I'm not gonna lie. I've NEVER cycled my ten gallon.

EVER.

Even with that I've spent less than $100 on fish in the past year and a half. And that happens to be a lot of fish, and 2 fry drops.

What I wanna know is the fastest, most reliable method yall have used to cycle tanks. I've read things about putting ammonia right into the tank (doing that scares me!) and I think someone here on the boards put fish food in their tank to cycle it. I do have test strips, but I'm probably gonna have to get more.

I am getting this tank on craigslist and it comes with a 5 gallon heater, hang-on-back filter, fluorescent light fixture (w/ bulb), air pump, reversable backround & tank lid.
Will I have to get a bigger heater?

Twistersmom 06-24-2009 08:51 PM

I have used the ammonia cycle, adding pure ammonia. For me, that is the quickest and easiest way.
Adding filter media from a cycled tank will speed up the process.

Don't buy the test strips. Go with the API liquid test kit, more accurate and cheaper in the long run. It will last a long time.

Do you know how many watts the heater is? Sounds like a new heater may be needed.

Congrats on the new tank!

FishySuzy 06-24-2009 09:06 PM

I'm not sure about the wattage, but I'm pretty sure I'll need a larger one.
I've read that keeping the light on during the whole process and keeping the heater at 80-85 will make it go faster
Will doing these things make my cycling faster?

Twistersmom 06-24-2009 09:16 PM

I am not sure that the light will help, but turning the heat up will.

FishySuzy 06-24-2009 09:34 PM

Lets turn up the heat then, baby!;-)

Twistersmom 06-24-2009 09:50 PM

If you go with the fishless ammonia cycle, feel free to ask any questions. I or someone else will try to help.

The biggest mistake with the fishless cycle, is adding to much ammonia and killing the cycle, And I have been there and done that.

After doing a water change to fix my mistake, I added enough ammonia to raise the tank to 4 ppm, then left it alone till ammonia dropped down to 1 ppm. Thats when I started adding ammonia daily. Some of the stuff you read about fishless cycles can get comfusing, but its really pretty easy.

FishySuzy 06-24-2009 10:04 PM

It really is confusing. I'm not exactly comfortable with having a fishless ammonia cycle as I have 3 cats, and they do have a habit of knocking the cover off my hanging filter and drinking the water.

JohnnyD44 06-25-2009 11:33 AM

my wife's cats do the same thing on my 20G tank...i just taped the lid on....showed them who was boss haha!

yeah the fishless cycle really isn't a big deal if you stick with it and pay attention to your levels

FishySuzy 06-25-2009 11:36 AM

Well, like I said, I've NEVER cycled before.
Ever.
I want to do a fishless cycle with this, or maybe get some real cheapy fish for the fish cycle.

Arkamaic 06-25-2009 11:54 AM

Another method I have heard of (never used) is droppin g a frozen shrimp in the tank and letting it decay. Does the same thing as the fish food.

If you want the fastest, the ammonia cycle is the way to go. And don't be afraid, lets say one time you add too much ammonia, it's not like you have fish in the tank to kill or anything. And it is in small amounts, here's a link to the different methods. Note that these may not be the best forms of each, but it gives you an idea.

Cycling Options