Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Neon Tetra's dissappearing? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/neon-tetras-dissappearing-252113/)

mcompagno 08-21-2013 04:22 PM

Neon Tetra's dissappearing?

Hello,

I have run into a really bizarre occurance in my 20 gallon long tank. I had a school of 10 neon tetra's in this tank with a pair of Blue Rams (not currently breeding). One by one over the course of several nights, the neon tetra school has been getting smaller and smaller. There is absoltely no sign of a carcus or partially eaten carcus and the tank is well sealed. The tetra's had been in there for a while, and they have litterally vanished over the course of a day or two.

I find it hard to believe that the two tiny Blue Rams have all of a sudden started eating the tetra's and leaving no trace of them.

I don't think I have lost my mind at this point....Any explanations or others with similar experiences?

Thank you.

jentralala 08-21-2013 04:58 PM

What kind of filter do you have on the tank? I ask because on my canister filter I had a problem with loaches swimming up the tube and into the canister. I'm not sure if Neons would do this, but it's a slight possibility.

Other than that, all I can think of is they're either being eaten alive, or they're dying from something and then being eaten during the night. Do you have snails or shrimp? They can do quick work on a carcass, as well as the other fish in the tank.

Is anyone displaying any irregular signs? Have you checked your water parameters just in case?

mcompagno 08-21-2013 05:44 PM

I have an aquaclear HOB and the intakes are to narrow for them to get in there. There are no snails in the tank as far as I can tell, and the water quality is great. None of the other fish seem to be sick or anything. The wierd thing is that I googled "neons dissappearing" and there is much discussion about it on the internet. I uess a lot of other people have had the same issue. All I can say is if they are suddenly dying and being eaten, it is happening very quickly with absolutely with absolutely no sign of illness or
trace of a carcus.

beaslbob 08-21-2013 06:17 PM

could they have jumped out behind the tank?

have you checked kH to see if it has risen?

With no remains they have either jumped or were eaten.

my .02

jaysee 08-21-2013 08:40 PM

Aliens? :shock:

mcompagno 08-21-2013 09:11 PM

Yep aliens are doing experiments on my neon tetras UGH

jaysee 08-21-2013 09:24 PM

Tiny aliens :-)

when a fish like a neon dies, it can get wedged into some pretty tight quarters. But, I agree with what's been said - there are only so many possible explanations.

moghedan 08-22-2013 08:55 AM

I am usually hard pressed to find neons when they die... they just dissolve... even when they are the only fish in the tank.