Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hello everyone, Nube here with a big tank question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hello-everyone-nube-here-big-tank-25205/)

RogueGypsy 06-23-2009 02:26 PM

Hello everyone, Nube here with a big tank question

I've done a lot of searching but did'nt find this covered anywhere. I've been lurking and reading for a few months, this is a great forum, thanks for being here.

I currently have 3 tanks, all fresh water; 1-10 gallon with some Guppies, Shrimp and 2 Gold Dojo Loaches. 1-29 gallon with schools of Cardinal Tetras & Rasboras (forget which kind), a Tiger Barb, couple of Silver Dollars, a Rubber Mouth Pleco, a Dojo Loach, and 5 Kuhlii Loaches. Then yesterday I acquired a 55 gallon that I'm cycling with 3 feeder gold fish that can now eat anything I would have fed them too. As you can see I've been bit by the fish bug. :lol:

Now for my question. I've been offered a 160 gallon all glass aquarium that was a Reef tank up until 2 months ago. I'm not sure if I'll go fresh or salt with it (my cousin has a 200 gallon Reef tank that's been up for 10 years and it is breath taking, so I'm leaning that way), but my concern is the weight. The floor where it will be set up is standard 2x12 joists with steel I-beam laterally every 8'. Below that is 3', then a concrete slab. I'm thinking it would be best if I install piers and beams to transfer the weight on the floor directly to the concrete slab. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Brock

Arkamaic 06-23-2009 05:40 PM

IMO, either way, just put the center of the I-beam, and perhaps along the I-beam if possible. If you go freshwater, you could be OK without doing anything to it. But perhaps adding the additional support wouldnt be a bad idea haha... your house is on a tall foundation, too bad those I-beams aren't 4' on center or something.

RogueGypsy 06-23-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkamaic (Post 208106)
IMO, either way, just put the center of the I-beam, and perhaps along the I-beam if possible. If you go freshwater, you could be OK without doing anything to it. But perhaps adding the additional support wouldnt be a bad idea haha... your house is on a tall foundation, too bad those I-beams aren't 4' on center or something.

Thanks for the input, I've revised my plan. I've decided to build a wall o' fish. I'll post pics when it's done, but here is the idea: I have an alcove in my living room that is 9.5' wide and 7.5' tall. That is where my 55g and 29g are at the moment. I'm going to build a post and beam rack (4x4 post, 4x6 beams) that will span (3) steel I-Beams, then mount my 55g (4' long) and my new 110g (5' long) next to each other for a 9' long wall o' fish. Currently the plan is to make the 55g a Cichlid tank and the 110g a planted home for my Loaches, Tetras and Rasboras.

Brock