Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Gimme your Ram stories (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/gimme-your-ram-stories-251929/)

Chevko 08-21-2013 09:56 AM

Gimme your Ram stories

I'm thinking about convincing my boyfriend to go with rams of some sort for our 40 breeder tank when we can get a stand for it.

What I want from you, dear reader, is your ram stories and various things you've learned since having them. Or if you'd suggest something else instead. (Also suggested filter would be great. Currently using a sponge filter in my 10 and have another tiny one for my 5 which is set aside to try out the filter that came with the tank.)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

GwenInNM 08-21-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevko (Post 2850249)
I'm thinking about convincing my boyfriend to go with rams of some sort for our 40 breeder tank when we can get a stand for it.

What I want from you, dear reader, is your ram stories and various things you've learned since having them. Or if you'd suggest something else instead. (Also suggested filter would be great. Currently using a sponge filter in my 10 and have another tiny one for my 5 which is set aside to try out the filter that came with the tank.)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

German rams are very pretty, but not easy to keep. They need a acidic, soft water parameters. Mine bred with a ph of 6.3, but always lost the fry to parents eating them. The Bolivian Ram is a sweet fish, I really like mine, but they are not the brightest bulb:-D in the tank. Much easier keepers. I'm still thinking of getting the smallest chiclid, which is the multi/shelles, but I'm waiting to get them shipped from someone in Phoenix, when the weather cools. They are easy, very small, so can go in a small tank. I spent too much on German Rams at the LFS I got mine from at $50 a pair, but with petco selling them for $6, you may want to try them. I really loved mine, but have scaled down on my FW fish, going more to saltwater. Do your research, and you can find the right one;-)

Gwen

RackinRocky 09-05-2013 04:43 PM

LOL, have to agree with Gwen! Bolivians are not the brightest crayons in the box! Mine is adorable, and so sweet. Never bothers anyone, but he has to be "target fed" or he doesn't get much, if anything, to eat. He doesn't seem to actively hunt for food--it must come to him, and I mean DIRECTLY to him, like falling within an inch of his head! No kidding! So you do have to be sure they get enough to eat. I wouldn't be without him, though. He's a charming little dense thing!

I wouldn't have a German, as Gwen also stated--their needs are too specific, and I'm sure they'd be too delicate and exacting in their needs for me. Also, I don't have soft, acidic water. The shellies do sound interesting, and might be a good choice for you. I've considered them before. But Gwen, aren't they a bit on the shy side? Some people don't care for fish that hide much of the time, so it would depend on your preferences. If I were you, I'd try one Bolivian in the 40 gallon tank. That way, there won't be fighting, as Bolivians only get aggressive when breeding. I'm no expert, but that's what I've read about them. And mine could not possibly be any more peaceful and seems perfectly content by himself.

GwenInNM 09-07-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RackinRocky (Post 2956378)
LOL, have to agree with Gwen! Bolivians are not the brightest crayons in the box! Mine is adorable, and so sweet. Never bothers anyone, but he has to be "target fed" or he doesn't get much, if anything, to eat. He doesn't seem to actively hunt for food--it must come to him, and I mean DIRECTLY to him, like falling within an inch of his head! No kidding! So you do have to be sure they get enough to eat. I wouldn't be without him, though. He's a charming little dense thing!

I wouldn't have a German, as Gwen also stated--their needs are too specific, and I'm sure they'd be too delicate and exacting in their needs for me. Also, I don't have soft, acidic water. The shellies do sound interesting, and might be a good choice for you. I've considered them before. But Gwen, aren't they a bit on the shy side? Some people don't care for fish that hide much of the time, so it would depend on your preferences. If I were you, I'd try one Bolivian in the 40 gallon tank. That way, there won't be fighting, as Bolivians only get aggressive when breeding. I'm no expert, but that's what I've read about them. And mine could not possibly be any more peaceful and seems perfectly content by himself.

I have never seen a "shellie" in "person" :) I was considering getting some after even buying the empty escargot shells they like. :oops: I found a guy in Phoenix, who will sell me some, but because of the heat, I have to wait till October, unless I want to pay way to much for shipping. With all this time, my 10 gallon has been set up in my office, since July (I work at a school as a Counselor), I'm tired of the kids saying "Why don't you have any fish?", and really I'm so busy, I don't even have a moment to look at the tank. :-P I'm thinking now about a female betta. I still don't know, but I don't think I'll get the shellies. They aren't that popular, which I'm not sure why. I'm also such crazy person when it comes to who I'd sell fish to, that if they did breed, which I hear they do readily, I'll never find anyone who cares for them "good enough" LOL.