Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Is it really worth it? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/really-worth-25191/)

sean117Ply 06-23-2009 09:10 AM

Is it really worth it?

So I've been keeping freshwater fish for over 7 years now and haven't really stepped into the world of saltwater other then having a look at them at the aquarium, but now I have an empty 29g and a multitude of possibilities.

I have been thinking about trying marine for the first time but the more I research the more I wonder if its worth all the hassle.

-More expensive (although the fish aren't that much more expensive)
-So much more equipment
-The water parameters (calcium, phosphate etc)
-Quarantine tank
-The overall maintenance
-Algae all over the place (I HATE algae, makes me cringe)

With my freshwater fish (discus) all I have to do is a 50% water change a week and a clean out of the canister every couple of months, the tank stays crystal clean; no algae, no debris, very clear. Its not that simple with marine? Is the weekly maintenance really that much more then fresh? I've had times where I just couldn't be stuffed cleaning the tank and left it for a couple of weeks, is that a bad idea with a marine tank?

If I go ahead and set up a marine tank would I get away with... a canister filter, heater, power head, light, live rock and a nitrate remover? I don't want a protein skimmer because I wouldn't be able to put the hood on. The only fish I would have would be a couple of clowns and a Dotti-back (name?) tops 4 fish.

I just don't know if it's worth it :roll:

SKAustin 06-23-2009 09:38 AM

If you cannot afford the money, time, or space to put together a proper system, you would be better off sticking with the FW system until you can afford to make the switch properly.

onefish2fish 06-23-2009 03:48 PM

i agree with austin, and just to clarify for the sake of anyone reading this thread, a canister filter will cause problems on a marine tank. any filtration of that sort, bio balls, filter floss, hang on filters ... anything that can collect debris and detritus will increase the nutrients in your tank unless very frequently kept clean. not worth a hassle IMO.

anyways a good idea would be to start a jar of money for the tank funds, start reading and learning, look for a reefing club, ask questions and then make your choice.
fish may not be much more money in aus but you cant tell me a gem tang is cheap :wink:

wake49 06-23-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 208071)
i agree with austin, and just to clarify for the sake of anyone reading this thread, a canister filter will cause problems on a marine tank. any filtration of that sort, bio balls, filter floss, hang on filters ... anything that can collect debris and detritus will increase the nutrients in your tank unless very frequently kept clean. not worth a hassle IMO.

And by "frequently" he means just about every other day. The basics of filtration in a marine system are Live Rock, Live Sand and a protein skimmer. IMO you can't successfully run the system without these three aspects of filtration.

I agree with SK and Of2f. And the expense is all based on how intricate a system you like to keep. Fish Only tanks are less expensive than a full reef tank, if you take the lighting, dosing and cost of the coral and inverts into account.

mullinsd2 06-23-2009 09:18 PM

To answer your basic question, yes it is worth it...... I have not even got my fish in yet, but a saltwater aquarium is a nice change and is beautiful.... you dont have to get everything at once..... just get it piece by piece, and when you have everything you need, you can start! It will be about 500 bucks, no cheaper than that unless you just find a good deal on craigslist, but I would look at a minimum of 500 for everything to get started...... and if you are planning on going for more than a 29 gallon obviously it will be more. Craigslist shopping is your best bet for a cheap set up! Or, join a local club, and yuou can get some great deals.

sean117Ply 06-23-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 208071)

anyways a good idea would be to start a jar of money for the tank funds, start reading and learning, look for a reefing club, ask questions and then make your choice.
fish may not be much more money in aus but you cant tell me a gem tang is cheap :wink:

When did I say I couldn't afford it?

That's the whole point of a canister filter, and that's why you clean it :shock:

sean117Ply 06-23-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullinsd2 (Post 208183)
To answer your basic question, yes it is worth it...... I have not even got my fish in yet, but a saltwater aquarium is a nice change and is beautiful.... you dont have to get everything at once..... just get it piece by piece, and when you have everything you need, you can start! It will be about 500 bucks, no cheaper than that unless you just find a good deal on craigslist, but I would look at a minimum of 500 for everything to get started...... and if you are planning on going for more than a 29 gallon obviously it will be more. Craigslist shopping is your best bet for a cheap set up! Or, join a local club, and yuou can get some great deals.

I have had a look through craigslist but it's not that well known over here yet so there's not really much on it.

sean117Ply 06-23-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 208090)
And by "frequently" he means just about every other day. The basics of filtration in a marine system are Live Rock, Live Sand and a protein skimmer. IMO you can't successfully run the system without these three aspects of filtration.

I agree with SK and Of2f. And the expense is all based on how intricate a system you like to keep. Fish Only tanks are less expensive than a full reef tank, if you take the lighting, dosing and cost of the coral and inverts into account.

I would only stick to fish, I'm not really fascinated by the corals and inverts. The colours and patterns of the fish never cease to amaze me, stunning!

~~Thanks for the fast replies

onefish2fish 06-23-2009 10:01 PM

i never said you couldnt afford it. i suggested saving money for the plunge while you take your time to learn about marine aquariums. prior setting up a tank there should be a few months research and planning and asking questions IMO and i can vouch for others saying the same thing. finding a local reefing club would be a good idea to learn things, pick up equipment cheaper and meet new people.

sean117Ply 06-24-2009 05:58 AM

I've researched until my eyes have bled (well almost lol)

I think the only knowledge I could gain now is from actually starting up a salty and maintaining it. I just don't want to make a mistake and found out its not for me once I've gone through the process... The rewards have to out-weigh the cons.

argh! Why can't I make decisions xD