Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Killifish and Crayfish Compatibility? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/killifish-crayfish-compatibility-251849/)

Aluyasha 08-21-2013 02:07 AM

Killifish and Crayfish Compatibility?

I own a Marbled Crayfish in a 10 gallon, she is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. I was wondering if she would be safe with Golden Wonder Killifish?
I really like her and want her to be safe. She is very nice and has even been housed with platy fry before and never went after them, I am more concerned for her safety with the Killifish. I know the Killis would probably kill any babies she might have but will they go after her?

jaysee 08-21-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluyasha (Post 2848937)
I own a Marbled Crayfish in a 10 gallon, she is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. I was wondering if she would be safe with Golden Wonder Killifish?
I really like her and want her to be safe. She is very nice and has even been housed with platy fry before and never went after them, I am more concerned for her safety with the Killifish. I know the Killis would probably kill any babies she might have but will they go after her?

They ought to do just fine together. However, both of them are too big for a 10 gallon.

Aluyasha 08-21-2013 11:39 PM

Thank you for the advice. I just got a 20 gallon and am setting it up now. It is already cycled (was a family members), I was thinking of getting 3 Killis. Is that too much? How many can I have with my marbled crayfish in the 20g?

jaysee 08-22-2013 06:32 AM

Yes 3 is too many long term - just get one.

Aluyasha 08-23-2013 03:18 AM

Can anything else live with the killifish and the crayfish? Just curious. :)
Also, I know I have already asked if the killi and cray are safe together but is my crayfish safe from the killifish when she molts? I have heard that crayfish can get attacked after they molt as they basically have no armor. I just really want to make sure she will be safe. I would hate to get a fish that would end up killing her.

jaysee 08-23-2013 06:32 AM

Yeah, they won't have anything to do with one another. The crayfish will be in hiding until the shell hardens. The only chance of a problem is if you have floating plants for the crayfish to hide in - then it could ambush the killi.

I had kept cherry barbs with my crayfish and killi. I know the barbs are plenty small for the killis to eat, but they never did - never even looked their way.

Aluyasha 08-23-2013 08:56 PM

What about gold barbs?

jaysee 08-23-2013 09:06 PM

I had great success with gold barbs too, but they need a larger tank than you have.

Aluyasha 08-23-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2869041)
I had great success with gold barbs too, but they need a larger tank than you have.

Darn, it always seems that when I am interested in a fish I have a tank that is just a little too small. lol
What about tiger barbs? If so, how big would they need to be to be safe?

Aluyasha 08-23-2013 09:48 PM

I was also wondering about rummy nose tetra, bloodfin tetra, and pristella tetra.