Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What should I put in a 10 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-should-i-put-10-gallon-251610/)

godtiermagikarp 08-20-2013 04:56 PM

What should I put in a 10 gallon?

I'm thinking about buying a ten gallon tank soon for a sort of mini freshwater community. What sorts of fish would work well in a ten gallon tank, and how many can I fit comfortably without overcrowding? It'd be really nice to have at least one angelfish; I've really been wanting one. Can they do ten gallons or is that too small?

Jeffrey 08-20-2013 05:12 PM

Angelfish get really big and need a LOT of space. A 55g is probably a decent start if you really want to be keeping angels, sorry to be a buzzkill =( There are good options for a 10g though, tell us a little more about yourself (experience level, water parameters, etc.) so we can make some good suggestions for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

godtiermagikarp 08-20-2013 05:17 PM

I guess I won't be getting any angels then... until I get a place of my own my mom said nothing bigger than 10 gallons.

I don't have much experience... Winchester is the first fish I've taken care of all on my own. But I'm kinda feeling like this will turn into a major hobby of mine so I'd like to try a bunch of different species and learn about taking care of all of them. I don't really know what you mean by water parameters... you mean like the hardness and pH of the tap water around here?

spreadtoothinly 08-20-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

I don't really know what you mean by water parameters... you mean like the hardness and pH of the tap water around here?
Yes, or if you are using Tap/RO or whatever. If you don't have a test kit you should def get one, they are about $20 and they last for a couple years, so it's a good investment.

godtiermagikarp 08-20-2013 06:01 PM

Yeah, I use tap water with water conditioner. I don't have a test kit (since I went into this knowing nothing) but I'll get one soon. What should I make sure the kit can test for? What's the best kit to buy?

spreadtoothinly 08-20-2013 06:10 PM

Most of us (including myself) use the API Freshwater Master Liquid Test Kit. API Freshwater Master Test Kit, Aquarium Test Kits for Sale Online | PetSolutions
You also might like to look into an API gH and kH test, because you can look at the city water paramiters, but it is usually a bit vague. Test Kit Gh Kh Freshwater - 04001058 - Fw Test Kits - -Freshwater- - Fish - by Ca Aquarium Supply(I think that is a liquid test, which is what you want.)
I just put what I found to be the cheapest, they are sold almost wherever pet supplies are sold.

godtiermagikarp 08-20-2013 06:30 PM

Cool, I'll get that as soon as I can.

Tracy Bird 08-20-2013 07:37 PM

Fish in a 10 gallon: if it were me.....

I would go with 5-6 Dwarf Cory's as in Corydoras habrosus. They stay small sizing out at 1 1/2 inches, are very active and great fun to watch.

I'd also add a small school of Neons 6-7 fish and/or a group of Rasbora.

Another good option in place of the Neons/Rasbora would be Celestial Pearl Danios - real pretty little fish that are very active.

If you want to try cichlids you might consÓder Tanganyikans, maybe Neolamprologus multifasciatus - they are quite unique little shell dwellers and very enjoyable.

You don't need a 150 gallon tank to enjoy the hobby, you can do great set ups in a 10 gallon... but be responsible: don't overstock (be satisfied keeping a group or two of smaller fish) and maintain your water changes on schedule (especially in a 10 gallon).

Keep us posted on your 10 gallon set up.

Also, agree with the others.... an angel won't work.

godtiermagikarp 08-20-2013 07:50 PM

Alright, cool. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into care and decide which I like best. I'm hoping to get the tank for Christmas; if I do I might do a little journal thread for it.

Jeffrey 08-20-2013 07:56 PM

Small group of dwarf cories and a little school of small tetras is excellent advice for a 10g. You can also look at cherry shrimp and malaysian trumpet snails if you are interested in some inverts. Both are hardy and don't contribute much to the bioload.

I don't know how complicated you want to make the 10g, but the addition of live plants is always a great step towards a much more balanced and stable system.

Tank journal would be awesome, we always love ogling other people's tanks =)

If you are looking for more info on setting up a 10g, try this thread:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...6/#post2255642