Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Which air pump for stones is the quietest ?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/air-pump-stones-quietest-251338/)

candymancan 08-20-2013 10:15 AM

Which air pump for stones is the quietest ??

Hey guys.. Question... Which air pump is the quietest brand that I can get ?? I have 3 fish tanks, a 30 long gal, a 27 hex, and a 5.5 betta tank.. All 3 use some type of airstone setup that I think looks good but also to help the fish breath.. The problem is the dang pumps are so noisey with there MMMMMMMMM noise...

I have 3 Top Fin pumps the ones you see below in my link.. I have an 800 series which is a little mini one for the betta.. That one hums but seems to be pretty quiet so im keeping that one.. I have a 1,000 series which I have had for years in my room and while I kinda "blocked" the noise sleeping I unplugged it last night and realized how much quieter it was and just use my powerhead for bubbles.. The third pump that is powering a very long air stone is a 2,000 series for 20 gallon tanks. This one is 2x the size of the one in my room.. and it just humms too loudly so I am returning it today... Which brand is quieter then these pumps ?? I understand all pumps mmmmmmm but I mean come on there has to be a quiet one somewhere that could power my large airstone.

Aquarium Pump » Top Fin® Air Pump AIR 1000| PetSmart

HMlairy 08-21-2013 07:40 AM

I'm not sure if its available where you are but I personally use the Interpet Airvolution Mini.
It is very good in my 25g. It kicks out a decent amount of air to keep high oxygen levels and decent water circulation but also pretty quiet (I once fell asleep with it on without noticing).
Plus the airstone I use is pretty large, just a bit bigger than a golf ball.

candymancan 08-21-2013 09:38 AM

I returned that Top Fin 2,000 Pump for 20 gallons it was just too loud.. I also had to return the 12 inch air stone it broke in half !!! wow... So I got a new air stone strip one that is in a plastic strip so it wont break.. same length 12 inches for my 36 inch long tank.. I decided to try the tetra whisper 10 air pump for 10 gallon tanks.. even tho its in a 30 gallon tank and powering a 12 inch air stone its much much more quiet and is strong enough to push air from the floor its laying on through a check valve and a 5 foot long hose and the 12 inch air stone from front to back..

I sometimes wonder why they advertise these pumps for 10-20-30 and up tanks... if a 10 can do this by itself..

jaysee 08-21-2013 10:44 AM

Quietest pump is the one you don't plug in :-)

rexpepper651 08-21-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2850169)
Quietest pump is the one you don't plug in :-)

like plants?!;-)

avraptorhal 08-23-2013 02:11 PM

Quiet Air pumps

Quote:

Originally Posted by candymancan (Post 2842778)
Hey guys.. Question... Which air pump is the quietest brand that I can get ?? I have 3 fish tanks, a 30 long gal, a 27 hex, and a 5.5 betta tank.. All 3 use some type of airstone setup that I think looks good but also to help the fish breath.. The problem is the dang pumps are so noisey with there MMMMMMMMM noise...

I have 3 Top Fin pumps the ones you see below in my link.. I have an 800 series which is a little mini one for the betta.. That one hums but seems to be pretty quiet so im keeping that one.. I have a 1,000 series which I have had for years in my room and while I kinda "blocked" the noise sleeping I unplugged it last night and realized how much quieter it was and just use my powerhead for bubbles.. The third pump that is powering a very long air stone is a 2,000 series for 20 gallon tanks. This one is 2x the size of the one in my room.. and it just humms too loudly so I am returning it today... Which brand is quieter then these pumps ?? I understand all pumps mmmmmmm but I mean come on there has to be a quiet one somewhere that could power my large airstone.

Aquarium Pump » Top Fin® Air Pump AIR 1000| PetSmart

I have discovered that the placement of the air pump is very helpful in avoiding noise. I have 3 Tetra Whisper air pumps 20 gal size. If I put them on a shelf the noise is annoying (at least to my hard of hearing ears) but I put then on the tile floor and zero, nada noise. As an engineer that is self evident, the shelf acts as a sounding board similar to a piano sounding board.

So try finding a rigid heavy surface to place your pumps on and you may not need to replace them.

avraptorhal 08-23-2013 02:12 PM

Jaysee, I'm ROFLMAO.

pop 08-26-2013 10:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
All are quiet!!!

jaysee 08-26-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop (Post 2885138)
All are quiet!!!

I'm trying to train my dad to come clean when he can't hear me (primarily on the phone). I have to do little tests throughout the conversation to make sure he getting it. "What did I just say?"

Boredomb 08-30-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avraptorhal (Post 2866657)
I have discovered that the placement of the air pump is very helpful in avoiding noise. I have 3 Tetra Whisper air pumps 20 gal size. If I put them on a shelf the noise is annoying (at least to my hard of hearing ears) but I put then on the tile floor and zero, nada noise. As an engineer that is self evident, the shelf acts as a sounding board similar to a piano sounding board.

So try finding a rigid heavy surface to place your pumps on and you may not need to replace them.

Placement does have alot to do with it I agree. Another thing you can do is put a towel under and you won't hear it as much either. I have a couple running now. One on the floor I can't hear at all and the one on my kitchen counter I can if I don't place it on a towel. It works soo I leave it that way.