Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angelfish tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angelfish-tank-25099/)

yippee 06-20-2009 03:03 PM

Angelfish tank

Hello all. I am planning a new angelfish tank. As of right now i am trying to plan around using a 55 gallon tank but may use a 75 if needed. I bought a black veil angel the other day and plan to buy until i find it a mate. I want to have a mated pair of those. I want to have a pair of rams, a pack of cories for the bottom (maybe 6) and a shoal of rummy nose tetras (as big as i can get). I would ideally like another pair of angels but i highly doubt i can keep two mated pairs plus other fish in a 55/75. Can I? Will what i have (the one pair of angels, pair of rams, cories, rummynose be way overstocked?

Anything else i need to consider?

Thanks, Matt

eileen 06-20-2009 03:50 PM

a 55 gal. tank would be great for Angelfish. I looked at a Compatibility chart I have and the tetra that you listed was not on it. The tetras that were on it was Black shirt tetras, Serpae Tetra, Silver tip tetra, Harleqen Rasboras. I have a friend that has mated pairs and she has dwarf rainbow fish with her angels, bushy Nosed Plecos a good fish for algae control and good cleaners. I have a 55 gal. community tank and I have 1 large angelfish bought as a baby that was a nickle size that grew up with glow-light tetras, Harleqen Rasboras, gold dust mollies, BN pleco and I have no problem. You should get the Angels when they are babies if they grow up with the other fish it's less likely they will be mean to the other fish. If you want a mated pair you need to buy 4 angels and get them about the same size and let them pair off. Once you get a mated pair you can rehome the other ones.If not the other ones will get picked on and cause problems in a community tank.
Remember they will get really big. My angelfish I got is now 6" big. Just don't overstock with 2 adult angels at 6" or bigger and babies your tank will be full. Keep a nice group of tetras, and corys for the bottom. If you need a good cleaner fish get a Bushy nosed Pleco they only get to 4-5" My adult female only got 3" big. females are smaller then males. Good luck on your Angel tank. I just love the look of Angelfish.

Byron 06-20-2009 04:34 PM

I've a comment concerning that so-called compatibility chart: it has to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. Someone referenced it previously in another thread and I recall taking a look at it and noting its deficiences.

There are two criteria for fish compatibility. First, the fish must share the same basic requirements pertaining to water chemistry/parameters [temp, pH, hardness, salinity] and their environment [includes plants, bogwood, rocks, substrate where these may have more or less of an effect]. Fish kept under less than preferred conditions are prone to stress and health/disease issues frequently arise as a result; if all the fish in an aquarium share the same requirements and those are provided, the community will be healthier and more successful. And the second issue is behaviour.

The serpae tetras jump out of this list. They can be troublesome in any community tank, and with angels the risk is higher. They have a tendancy to nip fins of their own and other species, and while it is true that many of the characins with bullying/fin-nipping traits do sometimes exhibit these to a lesser degree when maintained in larger shoals (12 or more), the inherent traits are still there. Placed together with angelfish in a relatively small environment [55g is small for what is being considered] the temptation to nip at the angels would be too great.

The rummynose would be fine, as would cardinals or pencilfish; all of these prefer the warmer temperatures that angels should have, and their water and environment ideals are the same. Corys can (and should) be included but some species fare less well in warmer water than others so select appropriate ones; and they are shoaling fish so a group of 6 is good and 3 of two different species would also work well. Ottos would handle algae. But I would go with the 75g over the 55g as the angels will grow as eileen said and the 55g would in my view inhibit their health especially with the additional fish [which should be there]. It would also allow more of a natural landscape to provide the angels with space for refuge and territories.

jeaninel 06-20-2009 11:45 PM

I have Rummies and Harlies with my angel with no problems. Sterbai cories would do well in the warmer water the angels prefer. Your fish list sounds like a nice tank.

iamntbatman 06-22-2009 10:16 PM

I don't think I would attempt two pairs of angels in that tank. A pair of rams as well as a pair of angels might lead to some disputes but since the rams generally stay near the bottom of the tank and the angels closer to the top, this shouldn't be too problematic so long as you've got a lot of cover (especially plants). The cories and rummynose tetras should be great tankmates for both species of cichlid.

yippee 06-23-2009 01:00 PM

Thanks for the comments guys and girls. I will probably be putting the angels in the 55 for now, until i can upgrade to a 75, then i will add the other fish. The tank will be nicely planted to give the angels their plants to swim through. Do rams like caves? I was thinking about putting a cave or two for them if they do. Sounds like i have my fish picked out. If i were to do a pair of angels, a pair of rams, and 6 cories how many rummynoses could i keep in a 75? I'm wanting as large of a shoal as i can get.

Thanks, Matt

jeaninel 06-23-2009 03:00 PM

I think you could do 8-10 rummies.

Byron 06-23-2009 03:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In a 75g you'd have tons of room for 2 or 3 shoals of different characins, 12-15 of each, or just a group of say 20 rummynoses. Provided of course you do the weekly partial water change and the plants are thriving. Just stick to quieter species that prefer warmer water like the angels and rams.

On the rummynoses, they are one of the best shoaling characins i know of, remaining together much more than even cardinals. There are three near-identical species. My favourite is Hemigrammus bleheri, sometimes termed "brilliant rummynose" and according to Seriously Fish the species more often available in stores. The Hemigrammus rhodostomus is not quite so brilliant, and the Petitella georgiae is very washed out by comparison. In most store tanks, all three will looked washed out, so you can't go by that. You can distinguish between them by the extent of the red. Only in H. bleheri does the red extend just beyond the gill covers. Also, the dark line extending onto the body of the fish from the centre lateral line in the caudal fin is absent in H. bleheri, thin in H. rhodostomus, and wide in P. georgiae. For illustration, here are pics of each in alphabetical order.

The red also pales when the fish is under any sort of stress, including fluctuating water parameters or quality. But in an established tank, new fish will settle down and brighten up in a day or two. I had a group of 6 in my 90g, and last week i added another 13; the next morning I could not tell the difference.

Byron.

yippee 06-23-2009 11:07 PM

So a mated pair of angels, a mated pair of rams (what about two pairs?), 6 cories, and 20 rummynose in a 75 will be okay?

yippee 06-24-2009 12:55 AM

I forgot to mention, i stay on top of all tank maintenance. The top picture (H. bleheri) is what i think my local store sells. I will check tomorrow when i go to pay for my baby whale.