Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   what all home food items can i feed to my baby black mollies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/what-all-home-food-items-can-25086/)

sam augustin 06-20-2009 07:00 AM

what all home food items can i feed to my baby black mollies?

my mollies are very small and i want to feed them some food items which are available at home so please tell me what will be good for them and how should i give it to them that they eat it completely. i tried giving them peas but they didnt eat it so please tell me how to give the food items so they eat them without fuss.

Oldman47 06-20-2009 02:21 PM

I have fed mine a bit of very finely chopped cooked brussel sprouts at times. I can't say that they were good food for the mollies but they eat them when they can bite through them. Raw sprouts are far too tough for them but the outer leaf off my dinner plate seems to work. My fish will eat almost anything that I do if I can make it small enough and soft enough for them. Be sure to remove any uneaten food soon after feeding. Don't just let it stay in your unfiltered tank over night.

sam augustin 06-21-2009 01:04 AM

i usually dont face this situation as my fishes dont leave any leftover and eat all what i give.

Guppyluver4ever 06-21-2009 02:48 PM

I noticed that you posted three threads and I think this answer will answer all of them: Most home remedies r ok, but if you really want healthy, colorful and long-lasting fish you should just go to your local fish store and get TetraMin Flake Food and mash it up.

sam augustin 06-22-2009 09:04 AM

is it a good idea if i feed my fishes boiled potatoes?

DragonFish 06-22-2009 02:27 PM

Ooooh, I've always loved the idea of feeding my fish fresh foods(say that five times fast xD). It must come from my Hermit Crabbing days when I was constantly looking for fresh foods to for my crabbys ;)
Unfortunately I'm paranoid and haven't tried anything that I haven't heard about being fed to fish multiple times, like cucumbers, lettuce, and shelled peas. Don't know about boiled potatoes, wait for someone more experienced to answer or google it ;) Ahh, the magic of google....
I'm assuming you've got some fry on your hands? If so, mashed up flake foods will suffice and live/frozen baby brine shrimp I've heard are very good. I've also heard of other little home recipes for fry food, but can't recall the everything off the top of my head xD

Fishin Pole 06-22-2009 06:48 PM

i have fed my community tanks a veriety of frsh veggies blanched to soften them up......Barbs, rainbowfish, gouramis and even a silver dollar has eaten everything i put in the tank.....zuchinni, summer squash, cucumber, lettuce, spinach and kale.......stick it on a fork and the feeding frenzy begins.......My afrcan cichlids, only seem to like the zuchinni........Did you smash the peas up when you tried feeding them to the baby mollies?.......im suprised they didnt at least try to eat it........The potato thing, im not so sure about....potatoes are starchy, i dont know if they would affect your water chemistry or not, maybe another member coudl answer that for you