Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Questions on how to set up a big tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/questions-how-set-up-big-tank-25008/)

Guppyluver4ever 06-18-2009 09:31 AM

Questions on how to set up a big tank

Im thinking of upgrading my 20 gallon tank to a 50 gallon or maybe a 80 gallon tank. then i stumbled upon a question, and was hoping someone could answer it for me. So if I do upgrade, after cycling and all that can I put in all my fish from my 20 gallon tank at once or do I have to act like there new fish and introduce them 3 fish every week?:-? tHank you to anyone who answers my question, it is greatly appreciated :-D

Twistersmom 06-18-2009 09:51 AM

You plan on doing a fishless cycle using ammonia on the larger tank?
What fish and how many are in the 20gal to be moved?

Guppyluver4ever 06-18-2009 09:59 AM

Ill cycle the tank with 2 new fish.

And I have 2 mollies, 3 guppies, 3 platys, 1 swordtail, 3 bloodfin tetra and 1 baby chinese algae eater. I know its a overpacked its just my friend showed up to my house with some new fish for my tank and what could I do? But thats exactly why im upgrading to a bigger tank. :-)

Twistersmom 06-18-2009 10:42 AM

If you went with the fishless cycle using ammonia, I think it would be safe to add them all at one time.
Doing a fish in cycle, you will have to introduce them slowly.
If you use the gravel and filter from the cycled 20 gal for the new tank, it may be safe to move all the fish over at once. Do test your water and be ready for water changes if needed.

Unrulyevil 06-18-2009 01:10 PM

you will have to act as if this was a new tank and add several fish at the time. your system will not handle heavy bio load right away.

jeaninel 06-18-2009 07:46 PM

If you move the filter from your 20 gallon over to the 50 gallon you should be able to move your fish over at the same time. There should be enough bacteria to support them. That's what I did when I upgraded from a 20 gallon to 55 gallon. I ran my 20 gallon filter along with the new filter for the 55. I tested the water every day for a couple weeks and never saw any ammonia or nitrite spike. Of course, don't add any new fish until your sure your tank can handle the load. You might also want to put a couple handfuls of gravel from the 20 gallon into a stocking and hang it in the new tank.

What kind of fish are in the 20 gallon and how many?

JohnnyD44 06-18-2009 08:12 PM

i second the above post.

I did the exact same thing when I set up my 55 Gallon tank. I just moved over the bio--wheel though into one of the Penguin 350's I have. never had a problem!!

good luck

jeaninel 06-18-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 206340)
What kind of fish are in the 20 gallon and how many?

Oops, nevermind. I just saw your fish list in the post above. You should be fine.

Herky 07-01-2009 01:43 AM

I'm planning on upgrading to a 60 gallon from a 29 gallon two months from now, would it also help to put some of the water from the existing cycled tank into the new one? My LFS has a bottle of fishless cycling stuff that they swear by and I'm going to try that but with caution and testing before putting fish in, but I would like to do the best job I can to prepare the new tank for my fish.

Byron 07-01-2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herky (Post 210769)
I'm planning on upgrading to a 60 gallon from a 29 gallon two months from now, would it also help to put some of the water from the existing cycled tank into the new one? My LFS has a bottle of fishless cycling stuff that they swear by and I'm going to try that but with caution and testing before putting fish in, but I would like to do the best job I can to prepare the new tank for my fish.

I am not aware of any value in transferring water from an existing aquarium to a new one. The bacteria colonize objects like the tank walls, substrate, plants, wood, rocks and filter media; they do not live in the water. Moving some of the filter media, or some of the substrate, or wood or rock from the existing tank would transfer bacteria. However, they must have ammonia and nitrite to feed on or they will die off. There has to be a source of ammonia in the new tank from the start if this is to be beneficial.

As for the "fishless cycling stuff" do you know what it is? If it is pure ammonia, that will start the cycle. But if it is a biological supplement like "Cycle" or "Stress Zyme" it is bacteria that again needs food, i.e., ammonia. Cycle and Stress Zyme are very good if fish are cycling a tank.