Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   anemone (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/anemone-2500/)

Rogergolf66 01-14-2007 09:17 PM

anemone

I was wondering I have an anemone in my 90 gal. tank and I was wanting to move it to my 75gal tank. can I remove it from the rock that it is attached to? The rock it is attached to is to large to put in the 75gal tank. If I cant remove it from the rock is there a trick to make it move to a different rock?

Thanks Roger

usmc121581 01-15-2007 09:04 AM

If you do be careful and not rip it. If you rip it it has a good chance of dieing. By ripping I mean from the base that is attached to the rock.

caferacermike 01-15-2007 10:28 AM

Can you take the rock out of the tank? If so they tend to release when exposed to air. If it holds tight get some ice. Get a large bowl of ice at the ready and begin rubbing it over the foot of the anemone. After a few minutes of this it will release fromt he rock and you can do with it as you please. Keep in mind that from the stress it will probably split in the new tank. Splitting is a form of reproduction. Many creatures on the reef display this behavior during times of stress. By reproducing it means that one might live if one dies. Or better yet, both live.

Rogergolf66 01-15-2007 05:08 PM

great info

Thanks roger

Glendor 01-16-2007 06:21 AM

How often should you feed an anemone that has an 1.5" base, and 3" disk?

Melissa 01-16-2007 06:24 AM

we feed our anemone about twice a week. Just take a little piece of shrimp and put it near its mouth.

Rogergolf66 01-16-2007 08:24 AM

I feed my anemony every 3 day. I feed it siversides. (small frozen fish) I put it on a feeder stick and he just grabs it right off the stick.

Glendor 01-16-2007 10:55 AM

Okay, that sounds like a good schedule. I've been feeding pencil-eraser sized pieces of fish, shrimp, and clam once a week. Usually three to four chunks each time. I'm going to change it to twice a week now.

It was interesting to watch the clown fish feed the anemone when a chunk of food got loose. It picked up the food, and carried it to the anemone, and 'snuggled' down into the tenticles, near the mouth, and released the food. It only did that after it ate it's fill of course.

The clown seems to be constantly at odds with the different Damsels I have in the tank. They seem to be keen on getting close to the anemone, and the Clown drives them off. I've read that sometimes Damsels can 'bond' with an anemone. Do you think it's possible the Damsels are trying to take over the anemone from the Clown? Is it possible to have two of the same type of anemone in the aquarium?

Rogergolf66 01-16-2007 05:51 PM

I don't see why you couldn't have two of the same type of anemone in the aquarium. but how big is yopur tank? as far as the damsels taking over the anemone I don't think so.

Roger

Melissa 01-17-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glendor
It was interesting to watch the clown fish feed the anemone when a chunk of food got loose. It picked up the food, and carried it to the anemone, and 'snuggled' down into the tenticles, near the mouth, and released the food. It only did that after it ate it's fill of course.

The clown seems to be constantly at odds with the different Damsels I have in the tank. They seem to be keen on getting close to the anemone, and the Clown drives them off. I've read that sometimes Damsels can 'bond' with an anemone. Do you think it's possible the Damsels are trying to take over the anemone from the Clown? Is it possible to have two of the same type of anemone in the aquarium?

That is one of the cool things with clowns and anemones, thier symbiotic relationship.

And with the damsel, its probably not trying to take over the anemone. The damsel is just getting/swimming to close to the clownfish's territory and he is chasing the damsel away. Clowns are very protective when it comes to thier territory.

And you could porbably get away with anotheranemone of the same spacies but i dont see the need to. The clowns will probably take that over too.