Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   I want a fish..... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/i-want-fish-2490/)

nicklovgren 01-14-2007 05:19 PM

I want a fish.....

I want a fish that is clean and can live in a little tank. I might get a bigger tank someday but don't have the room right now. I want something like a clown fish, but hear that they don't thrive in aquariums. So any suggestions?

Thanks

dustin323 01-14-2007 05:22 PM

Clownfish are probally the hardiest as a group of all marine species. Especially if you get a tank bred species. So they are a great start for anyone entering SW. Other hardy fish are gobies & damsels(MEAN), as well as many other depending on how your tank is & how big. What size of tank do you have? Tell us a bit about it.

nicklovgren 01-14-2007 05:27 PM

I want to get like a 5 gallon or maybe a 10 at the largest. I want a real vibrant color like the clownfish or just a cool looking fish. Something that doesn't need to be cleaned alot. My room is usually pretty cold, but I could always get some sort of heater.

nicklovgren 01-14-2007 05:30 PM

those gobies look pretty cool

When you say hard, does that mean tough?

Lauri 01-14-2007 05:31 PM

Saltwater is out of the question then. You need to look into freshwater. Type of goldfish or maybe a betta.

Melissa 01-14-2007 05:37 PM

You would have to many problems with a tank that small. I am not saying it cant be done but you will have to be on top of things when it somes to water changes and water parameters.

nicklovgren 01-14-2007 05:37 PM

ok.....i just once saw a clown fish in a 10 gallon tank at a pet store. I'm sure that wasn't suppose to be in that little tank. I really don't want a beta or a goldfish though. I want something more exotic. Something different

nicklovgren 01-14-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcwife
You would have to many problems with a tank that small. I am not saying it cant be done but you will have to be on top of things when it somes to water changes and water parameters.

What do you mean be on top of things. Just changing the water alot. Would that be cruel to the fish?

Melissa 01-14-2007 05:46 PM

Well little tanks can have things go wrong with them quick. The water evaporates out of them so quick, which will raise the salinity. there fore you will need to add freshwater alot, and becarefull not to lower the salinity. And then there would be a larger buildup of waste from the fish.

caferacermike 01-14-2007 05:54 PM

I know you mean well but it sounds like you are of limited experience with marine environments. They are extremely sensitive and delicate. You could pull it off but I'd suggest maybe turning your attention to a lot of planning. Just getting a 10g tank a power filter, some sand and a fish won't cut it for very long.