Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/)
-   -   beginning of my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/beginning-my-tank-24884/)

mullinsd2 06-15-2009 02:20 PM

beginning of my tank

4 Attachment(s)
Pics of my supplies and new tank. Also a pic of my 5 gallon betta!

mullinsd2 06-15-2009 02:26 PM

Sorry about the pic. quality, this is a very old dig. camera I am using. When I actually get the tank set up I will use my sis' camera. I will post more pics by friday. I should have the rock and skimmer by then!

conger 06-15-2009 03:21 PM

don't apologize for the picture quality, you should apologize for the giant Florida Gators stuff!! I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit as I was scrolling down :P

Just teasing you... die-hard Florida State fan here

mullinsd2 06-15-2009 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then your'e just going to love this other part of my room! lol! :-)

conger 06-15-2009 03:33 PM

oh God! My eyes... they're burning!!!

:-D

mullinsd2 06-15-2009 03:37 PM

ahaha!!!

Pasfur 06-15-2009 07:09 PM

It is amazing what a few pictures can accomplish....

A few words of experience. Watch the alkalinity levels more closely with Coralife salt; it has a reputation of being low on borate, which is one of your primary buffers in seawater. This may make it more difficult to maintain Calcium levels long term. I would advice switching to Instant Ocean after your bag of Coralife is gone.

I would also highly recommend against the use of Stress Coat in a marine aquarium. Without question, the slime coat feature of Stress Coat causes the skimmer to underperform. I would use AmQuel for a FOWLR aquarium, or better yet, use RO water.

Also, I didn't see a protein skimmer? Is that Marineland filter a biological filter??? I hope not. Before you open the box, lets discuss.

mullinsd2 06-15-2009 07:30 PM

No the marine land box you see is the box for my 5 gallon tank haha; however, I am trying to sell a canister filter!! :) i never threw it away just incase. Also I have a skimmer on the way (aquac remora w/mj 1200). I said that above, but you probably didnt see it because my pictures were so large. Thank you very much for the heads up on the Stress coat! I will not be using that now. Thats the problem with taking info. from people at petsmart i guess!

mullinsd2 06-15-2009 07:40 PM

Will you look at this link and tell me if this will suffice? Kordon AmQuel - Water Conditioners - Fish - PetSmart .

Pasfur 06-15-2009 07:45 PM

AmQuel is my water conditioner of preference. It will absolutely work.

A word of warning, if you have any plans to make this tank a reef tank, you need to be using RO water. AmQuel is awesome for a FOWLR tank, but it does nothing to remove phosphates. RO is a must for a reef system.