Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Questions before purchase of mystery snails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/questions-before-purchase-mystery-snails-24866/)

Barnsten 06-15-2009 02:06 AM

Questions before purchase of mystery snails

I am having a friend send me some mystery snails in the near future and I wanted to make sure my tank will be a good environment for them (or one of my tanks at least, LOL).
My biggest tank and most likely the one that I will have a good portion of the snails in is a 125 gallon Walstad planted tank. I have several filters running on it as well to have a higher water flow rate than normal (I believe it cycles the water over 15 times an hour, so quite a high flow rate). I keep mostly non aggressive fish in the tank, but there are a couple of Angel's in the tank (until I get them set up in their own 55 gallon which is waiting on the stand to be finished). The angel's will hopefully be moved before I add mystery snails, if not I can put the mystery snails in one of my other 3 tanks in the house.
My main concern about getting the mystery snails is if my pH is too low to keep them.
The highest my pH reads in any of my tanks is about 6.3. My walstad 125 gallon tank is at 6.
I keep chunks of dead coral in all of my tanks to keep the KH and GH higher as my tap water has hardly any GH or KH in it out of the tap. I also have a few shells I can add to my tanks if I need to, and I can also get some cuttle bones if I should as well.
I haven't tested my GH or KH recently but I can get definate numbers if I need to.
Will having a good GH and KH and feeding the snails calcium be enough to keep them alive and healthy or should I just give up before getting them? LOL
My LFS never seems to keep them alive but I don't think they know what they're doing when it comes to snails at least (and they aren't that great in general).
The mystery snails they currently have are all nearly dead, so I didn't want them that is why I am having a friend send me some (whenever I am ready for them), they breed them so I know they will be healthy.

Lupin 06-15-2009 04:01 AM

You still need to increase the pH to at least 7.6. Anything lower, is unacceptable. This is one of the primary rules if you want to keep snails successfully. pH is extremely important for snails. At acidic state, even calcium supplements and high KH and GH, will not help prevent shell erosions.

Barnsten 06-15-2009 10:38 PM

Then basically I guess I should give up before I begin?
I don't want to mess with trying to keep my pH at a much higher amount than what it is out of the tap, bad things happen when I try that.

Lupin 06-15-2009 10:51 PM

What are these "bad things" that happen to you? If you cannot increase the pH at all, then the snails are not really for you.