Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Can I afford to bring some new house mates to the tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/can-i-afford-bring-some-new-248386/)

Reece 08-15-2013 02:53 PM

Can I afford to bring some new house mates to the tank?

Hi guys,

Making my tank better has been my project this week, I've done various little things, including the addition of live plants, and the tank is seemingly perfect at the moment :lol:

Me being me, I want even more now! :roll: My mum and little sister have been saying that the tank looks really empty, and in all honesty I agree with them. At the moment my 10 Gallon tank is stocked with several live plants, driftwood, 7 Harlequin Rasbora and 1 Bristlenose Pleco.

I'm interested in adding fish who will occupy the lower area of the tank, or around the middle section. I used to have 4 Skunk Corys who of course lived on the substrate, however, they shared the same food as my Bristlenose Pleco. I added more of my sinking algae wafers to compensate for the larger need however my Bristlenose Pleco was still not happy with their presence, and after a few months of seemingly happy families he ended up killing two, and I can only put the other two's death down to some form of shock or wound.

I'd like to make sure that these fish aren't aggressive, my Harleys are really happy at the moment and I'd hate to disrupt that by adding bullies! :shock:

Another concern is that adding more fish may leave to me being overstocked, what is your opinion on that? I'm aware that it's all to do with water quality but there seems to be so much room left in the tank, it just seems bare!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions on what fish to add, and if you think that I will be overstocked please just say, I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Reece 8-)

BWG 08-15-2013 03:06 PM

Anything else will cause an overstocking issue in my opinion. Normally both the fish you have are recommended a minimum of a 20 gallon (although I see the bristlenose is listed as 10 here). Either way I wouldn't add more.

Reece 08-15-2013 07:00 PM

Not even some little neons? ;) hahaha

spreadtoothinly 08-15-2013 07:02 PM

I checked on aqadvisor, you are fully stocked now, and it says that the pleco will "outgrow your tank"... (although I don't know what filter you have...)

Reece 08-15-2013 07:10 PM

The filter is what came with the tank I'm afraid, so I have no idea...

Jeffrey 08-15-2013 07:25 PM

Yeah the pleco doesn't really leave room for anything else. Although you might try some cherry shrimp, they don't really add much bioload and can be interesting to watch.

Reece 08-15-2013 07:39 PM

I'd like some shrimp :) A few questions though:

What sorts of food do I need to get for them?

This may sound stupid, but will they be strong enough to swim away from my filters intake? The actual filter is at the top of my tank but it's intake is at the bottom, connected through a long tube. They won't be small enough to fit through, but if they get too close the pull might be too much? I imagine I'm heavily underestimating their strength but it's food for thought :)

How many should I get?

jentralala 08-15-2013 09:46 PM

I worry that with your tank being a bit overstocked as is, that sensitive shrimp may not fare well. Plecos, even the relatively small bristlenose, are poop machines. They have a very high bioload, and seriously limit other stocking options due to that. Combined with the fact that he's in a relatively small tank...it can cause some worrisome issues to arise, especially with the stability of water parameters which shrimp demand. They are sensitive little guys, and if the water isn't perfect for them, they'll just...die. Usually within a week or so.

I think...perhaps if you re-home the pleco you may have a bit more room to work with, so to speak.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I worry about the safety and health of the shrimp.

Jeffrey 08-15-2013 09:48 PM

Rehoming the pleco is definitely the best option if you are going to change your stocking at all

thekoimaiden 08-15-2013 10:44 PM

I know it seems like there is a lot of physical "room" left in the tank, but appearances can be deceiving. Plecos are indeed dirty little buggers. The one in my 29 gal is the reason I have what looks like a bare tank. They simply have a disproportionate bioload to their physical size which will make the tank appear bare. I agree with Jen. If you rehome the pleco you will have options. That is unless you really like plecos (some people do).

If you decide to get rid of it, I think shrimp would be a great addition. They reproduce like crazy once the population is established. They will bring lots of activity. Even though they are small, they don't like to stay still!!