Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Please help me with my shrimp tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/please-help-me-my-shrimp-tank-24778/)

yippee 06-12-2009 01:48 AM

Please help me with my shrimp tank

Okay, a little while back i had mentioned using a 5 gallon tank to keep shrimp. I have bumped it up to a spare 10 gallon now and would like help deciding which shrimp to keep. I have found some places online that tell about some of the compatibilities between shrimp, but not all of them. Some of the main shrimp i have been looking at were the blue pearls, ghosts, red cherry, yellow, and there was an orange one - not sure of the name. Which shrimp will be compatible out of those? why or why not? and what other types will go with the ones listed? I would like to try to keep it fairly inexpensive but will spend some money. I just dont want to pay the $150 or so for 6 shrimp like some of the aquabid auctions. :roll:

Please help me out. THanks

onefish2fish 06-12-2009 01:56 AM

im not sure about compatiblities but i would be worried about cross breeding.

check craigslist and your LFS for cherry reds. if your fish store doesnt have them, ask and they prob. can order them.

Fishin Pole 06-12-2009 06:45 AM

well with the shrimp you listed, they are basically all the same species that were selectively breed for their colors..........Red Cherries, Blue Pearls, and the Banana Yellows are all a Neocardinia species...........If these shrimp are mixed together in one tank, they will breed and the offspring will be a neutral wild color........Mostly tan and gray......The offspring will not have the parental colors..............You can mix the Neocardinia species with the Cardinia species and they will not interbreed............The true green shrimp is a Cardinia species and can co-exist with the other fore mentioned species...........My suggestion would be to get red cherries as they seem to be more hardy than any other shrimp i have kept..........Just worth mentioning, you should really make sure your tank is stable and have no water parameter flucuations.........Put a few fish in the tank for a few weeks after its cycled and allow them to season the tank for you............Remove the fish and put your shrimp in.......Soon you will have shrimp everywhere in the 10 gallon and they are very amusing to watch!............Good Luck!

yippee 06-12-2009 12:21 PM

So basically they will all live happily together? THe only fear is interbreeding?

Fishin Pole 06-12-2009 01:41 PM

its not a fear, its a fact...........they will interbreed and give you alot of very plain looking shrimp........Not a bad thing, but you will lose any coloring that the parent shrimp had

yippee 06-12-2009 01:42 PM

I know it is kind of cruel but i can use the offspring as feeders.

eileen 06-12-2009 03:25 PM

Try this web site it has everything about shrimp speciies and alot more:
Planet Inverts Home .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Crayfish and more. on the left side of that page they have (Shrimp Species) and on the right side they have everything else related shrimps under (articles). This site is expensive to buy shrimp. Most really good tropical fish stores sell Red Cherry shrimp They are about $6 each in my area. I saw someone on craigslist sells his red cherry shrimp for $1 each in the San Diego area good price. Aqua-bid has the best prices in the ($ ) sections on the Home page on the left hand side. I bought my Intense yellow shrimp from a Missfish for only $14 winning bid and the $10 to ship. The one I won was for 10 yellow shrimp. She put in 5 extra and some water sprite plants for them to hold on to during shipment. I got them in 3 days and no losses so my total for the shrimps were only $24 . I payed through Paypal. Missfish is a good aqua-bid person. She answers all your questions and gets back to you through e-mail. I think she has Red cherry shrimp. You can put some of these on watch. I do that and if the price goes beyond what I want to spend I watch another one in the ($) section. It's free to register, You will get a logon and it's free to post unlike E-bay but it works the same way as E-bay. Try to stay away from Ghost shrimp as they prey on weaker and smaller shrimp species and they are plain looking even though they are really cheap. I saw them at my local Walmart for .39 cent each. The Red Cherrys are nice looking and the Tiger shrimps look nice these can be put together as the are not the same species as the Red cherry shrimp. The cyrstal red or black are sensitive more to water quaity then the red cherry shrimp or the tigers, greens or some other types That's why I bought a yellow type. I have no problem with using extra shrimp as food but it would be better to sell them on craigslist and make some money on the nicer shrimp since they are hard to find in some stores and using the money to buy live brine shrimp at the LFS. If you want to breed them make sure you use a sponge filter over your intake so the baby shrimp does not get sucked up in it or a netting with out big holes like a fish net .Good Luck!

Lupin 06-15-2009 03:16 AM

Look at this link for compatibility issues.
Dwarf Shrimp Compatibility Chart - Freshwater Shrimp - TheShrimpFarm.com