Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Soap - true or false? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/soap-true-false-24741/)

yippee 06-11-2009 01:05 AM

Soap - true or false?

I was just wondering if there was any truth behind this whole 'not using soap while washing your hands before doing maintenance' rule. Is it really that bad if you use soap then rinse your hands really really well? Sometimes i feel like my hands are just too dirty to rinse with clean water then start doing maintenance. And sometimes i'm fresh out of the shower but get too paranoid to work on the tank.

Lupin 06-11-2009 05:57 AM

I wash my hands thoroughly when I use soap. Never had issues doing maintenance after soaping my hands but like I said, I wash thoroughly.:wink2:

SinCrisis 06-11-2009 07:30 AM

i wash my hands with soap... never knew it was bad for the tank... and i dont think im that thorough either... and my fish have never had any issues. But i guess i need to start being more carfeul. >.>

aunt kymmie 06-11-2009 09:33 AM

I use soap on my hands and then rinse very well with the hottest water I can stand...is it any wonder my hands look like a truckers? :-) It sounds like I can switch to lukewarm as long as I'm thorough with the rinse.

dramaqueen 06-11-2009 09:39 AM

I wash my hands with soap before maintenance, too and never had a problem. I think the key is to rinse your hands really well with water as hot as you can stand.

yippee 06-11-2009 01:11 PM

Okay good. That's what i always do too. I rinse my hands probably 2 or 3 times longer than i really need to (even for tank maintenance) just because i was always paranoid about the soap thing. I would try to just rinse them (no soap) when i felt i could get away with it, but if my hands felt dirty i would wash them just because i always felt it had to be better than introducing everything on my hands to the tank. That makes me feel a lot better knowing it shouldn't harm my tanks. THanks a lot guys.

Romad 06-28-2009 12:23 PM

I always wash my hands and arms before maintenance because I have a very deep tank (hex). Being a female, I have to be careful of perfumed lotions so the arms get scrubbed for that reason.

I've never had any problem because I rinse fanatically after washing.

Tyyrlym 07-01-2009 07:28 AM

Rinsing is key. So long as you are very careful about it there's no real problem. If you don't rinse thoroughly you could take some soap with you to the tank. A little bit isn't the end of the world. It's not good for your tank but one drop of soap won't kill your tank. A lot though will be terminal.

yippee 07-07-2009 04:47 PM

Good to know. That was about what i had always assumed. JUst wasn't sure

Herky 07-10-2009 09:07 PM

I worry about this too...so I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these...

Aquarium Maintenance & Cleaning: Heavy Duty Aqua Gloves

as long as you keep them cleaned between uses wouldn't it help to reduce worries about human contamination?