Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need ideas for a new twenty gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-ideas-new-twenty-gallon-24708/)

PCKid 06-09-2009 08:25 PM

Need ideas for a new twenty gallon

alright guys I really need some ideas as to what to stock in my new twenty gal the substrate is going to be small gravel and maybe a driftwood piece. I'm open to any ideas

Arkamaic 06-09-2009 09:12 PM

I thought you decided to go with some cichlids in the other forum? haha

Anyways, I recommend a nice school of some tetra, or maybe some barbs. Of if your still interested in cichlids, there are many types of dwarf cichlids which would fit in a 20 gal.

PCKid 06-09-2009 09:26 PM

I have the other tank starting a. new one haha but I'm into ...not barbs haha

Arkamaic 06-10-2009 12:31 AM

ahh got ya haha ok... well hmm. 5-6 Neon tetras with 5-6 hatchet fish? Try making a biotope of sorts. Keep all the plants from the area as well?

Or do an eastern theme, danios and some gouramis.

PCKid 06-12-2009 12:28 PM

well i like gouramis but i dont like the danios. i like fish with alot of color and personality. i was thinking of doing just like 2 or 3 fish in this tank

Arkamaic 06-12-2009 01:07 PM

I say go with some gouramis then. Maybe some Pearl Gouramis, or Blue Gouramis.

mischievouscat 06-12-2009 01:40 PM

Shell-dwelling cichlids from Lake Tanganyika, maybe?

Neolamprologus multifasciatus, Lamprologus ocellatus, Neolamprologus brevis are some that could work. Check them out. They have fascinating behaviors, and a small colony of one species could easily be kept in a 20 gallon.

But then again, driftwood and gravel substrate wouldn't be great for these fish. You'd want sand and shells.

PCKid 06-12-2009 01:46 PM

thanks for the advice im going to go check those out. i love gouramis tho would any of those fish be ok with a couple gouramis

PCKid 06-12-2009 01:52 PM

wow those cihlids are amazing i currently have a cichlid tank but these little guys seem like they have enormous personality :D

mischievouscat 06-12-2009 03:14 PM

Yeah, shellies are pretty interesting fish. But wouldn't mix well with gouramis, I'm afraid. Totally different water requirements and they'd likely fight. Folks recommend species-only tanks or top-water schoolers as tankmates. I'm getting six Neolamprologus multifasciatus next Saturday. Been planning this setup for a year, and it's finally happening. =D

Since you're looking at gouramis, consider sparkling gouramis? I have some of those, and they're also quite interesting. You could put a group of them in a 20 with some other, peaceful community fish.