Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   oscars & angel fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/oscars-angel-fish-246/)

cleghornkid 08-20-2006 09:43 PM

oscars & angel fish

i have oscard that are about 3 1/2 inches long can i put angel fish in with them.are there any fish that are conpatable with them they have such great personalitys.i have them in a 125 gal tank if that matters

joeshmoe 08-20-2006 11:46 PM

Pleco&jack dempsy <think thats how u spell it.

Lupin 08-21-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleghornkid
i have oscard that are about 3 1/2 inches long can i put angel fish in with them.are there any fish that are conpatable with them they have such great personalitys.i have them in a 125 gal tank if that matters

The answer is NO. Angelfish are better off with peaceful species. Oscars are rather aggressive.
Oscars are best kept alone.

Cichlid lover 08-25-2006 01:56 AM

In a 125 you could easily get away with more fish, oscars are aggressive, but not that aggressive for cichlids. There are many species of other cichlids you can get such as a jack dempsey, midas, jaguar cichlid(he might have to be moved to a bigger tank after a while, they get to 18 inches!!!), ect. You would have more luck with this question on a specialty site such as cichlid-forum.com

SKAustin 09-03-2006 10:15 AM

It should also be noted that Oscars are extermely fast growers. a 3 1/2" Oscar will reach 8" in as little as 2 months (highly dependant on the food and feeding schedule). Oscars are very aggressive eaters so seek out fishes that will not only Stay large enough not to be seen as lunch, but will be able to compete for the food, or get to the food fast enough. Otherwise you will find yourself overfeeding your tank so that the tankmates will get enough to eat.

Oceane 09-04-2006 04:43 PM

I don't think they mix you angels would become food for the Oscars soon enough. Rather try some cat fish i had a feather fin catfish with mine and they got along fine. by the way my Oscar is about 12". Have alook at oscarfish.com

z24frank 10-22-2006 04:35 PM

dont try it!the angels are way too fragile for oscars.Oscars arent so aggressive they are just hungry all the time and will try and eat anything that will fit in their mouth.do be mis understood about angels though they are aggresive,but mostly territorial.I would say go with a jack dempsey!real nice fish to look at and great personallity too.

Daz 10-22-2006 06:10 PM

O's are best kept on there own. No they are not particulary aggresive for Cics, JD's are very reclusive and could come to blows with a Oscar. Angels are a definate no no. Is there anything else in the tank?