Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   small loach? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/small-loach-24539/)

SinCrisis 06-04-2009 01:10 PM

small loach?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a species of loach that's small? I only have around 4-8 inches of fish space left in my tank and the only loaches i seem to find are clown loaches which grow too big, most of my fish are small tetras, a giant clown loach would seem out of place and probably stress the fish. But i have never kept loaches before either and would like to try, moreover, i have a small snail problem, not infestation, the population seems to growing slowly and i wanted some loaches to graze and keep the population down.

PCKid 06-04-2009 02:28 PM

yoyo loaches would be perfect for your cause. they get 6" at max

SinCrisis 06-04-2009 03:21 PM

could i just get one? Or do I need like 2 or 3 because i can only really fit one if they are 6"

Twistersmom 06-04-2009 05:03 PM

Yoyo loaches are best kept in groups.

Lupin 06-04-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 201403)
I was wondering if anyone knew of a species of loach that's small? I only have around 4-8 inches of fish space left in my tank and the only loaches i seem to find are clown loaches which grow too big, most of my fish are small tetras, a giant clown loach would seem out of place and probably stress the fish. But i have never kept loaches before either and would like to try, moreover, i have a small snail problem, not infestation, the population seems to growing slowly and i wanted some loaches to graze and keep the population down.

Huh? Is this the crappy inch per gallon guideline? How big is your tank and what did you put in there already?

SinCrisis 06-04-2009 11:50 PM

its 46 gallons, got 3 skirt tetras, 6 pristella tetras, 2 redeye tetras, 1 sae, 1 betta, 1 giant danio, 3 long finned danios, 1 dalmation molly, 1 sunset molly lots of trumpet snails

Lupin 06-05-2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 201612)
its 46 gallons, got 3 skirt tetras, 6 pristella tetras, 2 redeye tetras, 1 sae, 1 betta, 1 giant danio, 3 long finned danios, 1 dalmation molly, 1 sunset molly lots of trumpet snails

You can add at least 10 kuhli loaches or 6 Botia striata. The latter may or may not attempt to eat your trumpet snails.

SinCrisis 06-05-2009 09:00 AM

10?? holy crap i feel like that's overstocking.. even not using the inch per gallon rule, i have almost no surface agitation as i try to keep CO2 in the tank for my plants. I need loaches to control the pond snail population i accidentally introduced because i was rushing and failed to wash 2 chain swords... sigh... its amazing how many snails hatch from one or two egg blob things... I generally keep my feeding down so my trumpet snail population lives off algae and almost no food. However im afraid the pond snails are growing to be more active in eating some of my dying plant leaves and might breed a lot. ALso, with bottom feeders, i have trouble getting food to them because my danios and larger tetras always grab it before it reaches the bottom, any tips on this? ive kept cory cats before but they all died because none of their food was getting to them.

Twistersmom 06-05-2009 09:53 AM

For frozen foods, I feed my bottom fish using an eye dropper or a pipe dropper from the craft store to squirt the food down.
Pellet food, I will hold in my hand and place it at the bottom of the tank.
Sounds like your tank is heavily planted. I have not kept the loaches Lupin has suggested but both of these loaches like to dig. I am thinking they might dig your plants up some.

SinCrisis 06-05-2009 11:22 AM

No, the tank is not heavily planted, but i keep the surface agitation down because i leave for school and my parents wont dose my tank with excel. Also, do kuhli loaches eat plants? or nibble on them? because i have chain sword and hope that i could get some fish to keep the streamers from spreading too fast and creating the lawn effect