Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   new member with a few questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-member-few-questions-24517/)

mullinsd2 06-03-2009 08:39 PM

new member with a few questions

What's up everyone? Just to introduce myself, my name is Adam, and I am a "noob" so to speak when it comes to fish; I recently purchased a 5 gallon eclipse tank for my single male Betta, Spoch. Anyways, I have a friend who is selling a 29 gallon Top Fin tank (believe that is the name), and I told him I would give him 75 bucks for it. It will come with everything, including all of their plants, heater, cleaners, etc., that they have been using. Only thing is,I dont know if I am getting a good deal for sure; I think i am. So what do you guys think? Also, I want to put a rainbow shark in the tank if I do get it..... what fish are compatible with them, and for those who have one, how big is yours?

Thanks in Advance,
Adam

eileen 06-03-2009 09:25 PM

I would think that a 29 gal. tank with everything for $75 is a good deal. You can check craigslist and compare prices also to check. About the Rainbow shark try checking a Compatibility chart.
Welcome to this forum It's a good site for help and lots of information.

mullinsd2 06-03-2009 09:47 PM

Thanks for the reply, and I have noticed that this place is great for information; a very edifying site, to say the least.

SinCrisis 06-03-2009 10:13 PM

welcome to the forum. As for the deal it depends on what equipment hes running. For example, if hes already running a canister filter, that alone is over 50 dollars so your definitely getting a great deal. Also, it might be good to check the condition of his equipment since if it all wears out in a month and you need to rebuy all that equipment, it may not have been that good of a deal. Also, you amy be a "noob" but gettinga 5 gallon for your betta is a move far above what many betta keepers do for their fish so, kudos for great betta keeping.

mullinsd2 06-03-2009 10:33 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the fact that keeping the betta in a 5 gallon tank does not go unnoticed. I started out with a terrible apparatus, called a betta cube, which pet smart sells, but I could not stand to think of how uncomfortably small, and UNFILTERED, it was. The next day I brought it back and purchsed the 5 gallon tank, which he loves; this makes keeping the fish that much more enjoyable for me. As for the equipment in the tank, I do not believe it is new, and unfortunately, I am pretty sure its old; although, it seems to be working great. I have checked it out a few times. After a quick search, I am not sure I understand what the canister filter is. My aquarium, which is the first one I have owned, has everything under the hood; so maybe this is the appropriate time to use the noob label.Haha. Also, I still need to purchase a stand, and would like to keep my betta in my room under the larger tank, so if you could offer any suggestions in that area I would appreciate it.

JohnnyD44 06-03-2009 10:58 PM

Hello and welome!! I give you a kudos as well on the 5 gallon for spoch!

As for the $75 for a 29G with equipment.....unless the equipment is fairly new (which you said its not), or you are getting a canister filter like Sin said....I would look around on craigslist...you'd be amazed at what you can find for almost the same price. You could find maybe a 55G with a stand for that price. I agree that you should check out the equipment s/he has to offer and weigh your options.

Check craigslist, it can't hurt!!!

mullinsd2 06-03-2009 11:13 PM

OKay, I will. Do people deliver over craigslist? Im sure shipping a fish tank would be rather expensive.

Sageo3000 06-03-2009 11:18 PM

Craigslist is the best. I got my 60 gallon aquarium with everything for $60. Just wait it out and see what comes up. With regards to the 29 gallon, you can buy a brand new 29gallon with everything from walmart for $100.

mullinsd2 06-04-2009 12:29 AM

Wow, yeah I already found a very nice 45 gallon, with a stand, and canister filter included for only 150.00...... I really appreciate the insight everyone! I am really excited about getting in touch with this person, and getting this deal done! haha

Sageo3000 06-04-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullinsd2 (Post 201288)
Wow, yeah I already found a very nice 45 gallon, with a stand, and canister filter included for only 150.00...... I really appreciate the insight everyone! I am really excited about getting in touch with this person, and getting this deal done! haha

Ask for $120.