Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - New fishkeeper - Multiple problems (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/new-fishkeeper-multiple-problems-244937/)
New fishkeeper - Multiple problems
1. Size of tank? 69x33x39 cm. currently holding 75 litres
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0.25
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?API
3. Temperature? 72C
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up?Moved an established aquarium of 23 fish. 1 catfish since added
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 6 female, 5 male guppys, 1 opaline gourami (3 inch), 4 platys, 3 clown loaches, 2 catfish (1x 6 inch, 1x 3 inch) and 2 which I think are Hatchetfish
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?yes
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Live (unknown variety)
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Large gravel, thin layer just sufficient to cover the bottom
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Small piece of wood, 2 hollow decor, 1 tunnel, 1 barrel
9. a. Filtration? 1 internal filter (Aqua flow 2, 10 watt, 500l/h)
b. Heater? Yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? 1 daylight bulb, on 8-10 hours
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? 1/2 hour a day in midsummer, otherwise no.
11. a. Water change schedule? Weekly
b. Volume of water changed? 25%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water, declorinated
d. Water conditioner used? API
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Was weekly, now daily
12. Foods? Varies. Flake, dried, pellet
How often are they fed? Twice a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Yellow spot on tail - 1 guppy, cottonwool growth - 1 platy, 1 guppy swimming oddly, (fins not used on 1 side), 1 dead guppy
b. Appearance of poop? Normal I think
c. Appearance of gills? Normal. Discovered Guppys have been treated for disease by previous owner.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Aquatic shop recommended
b. What meds were used? Myxazin
Is tank overstocked? should I remove diseased platy? Do I increase frequency of water changes while medicating? Any suggestions?
Well, according to aqadvisor, WITHOUT the catfish (since I didn't know the species) and without the hatchetfish, "Your tank is seriously overstocked." This is mostly I think because the clown loaches get huge (1 foot, apparently-- never had them), and it uses their adult size. Your ammonia is also high, it should be 0.
You can start fixing your problem by getting rid of some fish or getting a larger aquarium. An appropriate stocking level is important to prevent any disease. With so many fish, the water quality is quickly becoming poor. Poor water quality weakens a fish's immune system, and you'll get a whole plethora of issues. I think basically these diseases are the result of too many fish. If the fish do have a disease though, it would be hard to say from the description and without photos. You can treat the disease but I think you'll keep having other problems until you fix the root issue.
Stocking levels and filtration
think cutting down the stock level can only be good, but the aquarium shop also suggested the filter was too big for the size of tank. Suggested that I should change to a smaller filter, logic being the filter that is in is overfiltering and so no good bacteria can develop. The catfish are both suckermouth variety, plecos. Think they are pterygoplichthys and female Bristlenose, but only have google to go by. Have a smaller tank - 48 litres which I was thinking of moving at least some of the guppys in to. Trying to identify two fish which I think may be Hatchetfish. Will post pictures when I get some, as again I'm trying to identfy them via Google
thanks for your thoughts
That's terrible logic on their part. It makes no sense. :P
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.