Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   severum stocking help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/severum-stocking-help-24490/)

iceprizm 06-02-2009 09:19 PM

severum stocking help

i am planning my stock for a 75g 48" x 18" x 21" with 2 emporer 280gph powerfilters.
tank has sand bottom and silk plants. water is soft and ph 7.8+.

this is my current planned stock:
1 severum
12 preacox
12 cories
12 tetras (rummynose?)
1 pleco

would the rummynose be compatible?
is this too much stock?
are there any issues i dont see?

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o...rizm/004-3.jpg

1077 06-03-2009 02:58 AM

I might were it me, Look to tetras that get a bit larger such as columbian tetras or bleeding heart tetras. In my expierience with rummy nose, they are sensitive to any and all excess dissolved organics. They might also look like a snack for the severum. Severums usually consume a considerable portion of vegetable matter (plants) and it is needed for their longterm health. I have two that enjoy romain lettuce hung from veggie clip, spirulina flake, and regular Cichlid pellets and other foods. If you kept it well fed,, It might not pay any mind to the rummy nose. Maybe start with six and see how they do with the Severum. Should you decide to place another Severum with the first,, They are in my view,, pretty particular. If the second fish is not to the first fishe's liking,, It will become clear and steps to move one or the other would be in order to prevent constant chasing or harrassing. To get a pair,, Would prolly be best to purchase five or six juveniles ,and once a pair forms,, rehome the others. I like your tanks stocking plan and hope the pleco is a small variety such as Bristlenose. Good luck.

Lupin 06-03-2009 06:59 AM

No doubt, the severums will actually eat the rummies. Don't bank on them being completely safe. Severums are greedy eaters especially at a massive size of 8 inches. Mine are 6-7 inches and both are completely boisterous during feeding time.

iceprizm 06-03-2009 07:47 AM

ok good advice. i thought the rummys got the same size as the bleeding hearts............
columbias i cant get, bleeding hearts i dont find rather attractive. is there another option?

1077 06-03-2009 08:16 AM

Maybe some of the larger Barbs? I always liked the rosy barbs. They can reach six inches and are not known for nipping. They don't much care for bright lighting. I'm sure youll find something that you like.

aunt kymmie 06-03-2009 10:21 AM

Denison barbs are beautiful, very peaceful and do not nip. My favorite barb, by far.

jeaninel 06-03-2009 12:34 PM

The severum I had ate one of my praecox rainbows and attempted to eat another. But the rainbows were young, probably about 1-1/2". The severum was about 5" at the time.

I also had blackskirt tetras with my severum and never had any problem between the two. Dennison barbs are beautiful and get large enough to not be food. They are a bit pricey though.

iceprizm 06-03-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 201069)
The severum I had ate one of my praecox rainbows and attempted to eat another. But the rainbows were young, probably about 1-1/2". The severum was about 5" at the time.

I also had blackskirt tetras with my severum and never had any problem between the two. Dennison
barbs are beautiful and get large enough to not be food. They are a bit pricey though.

Bad severum, bad. are dennisons schoal fish? very pricey.

1077:
i forgot about rummynoses sesitivity (thats why i am here).
i plan on only getting 1 severum. this will be my first so i will see how i like it. not too sure about the pleco yet. definetly dont want something that gets too big. Pitbull plecos sound ideal but i cant get them where i live.

i will have to sleep on this. i can get bleeding hearts but i dont remember being impressed when i saw them. maybe with the preacoxs they would stand out more.

aunt kymmie 06-08-2009 07:46 AM

My Denisons school very tightly together. My favorite thing about them is that they are so peaceful. They don't bother anyone in the tank. My second favorite thing about them is what a beautiful mass of color they are as they move about the tank. To me they are well worth the money I spent on them.

iceprizm 06-08-2009 07:50 AM

i forget are the denison severum safe?