Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   2 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/2-gallon-tank-24489/)

Red Betta 06-02-2009 08:13 PM

2 gallon tank

I have a 2 gallon tank which I previously kept a betta fish in. I was hoping some suggestions of some other types of animals i could put in this tank.

eileen 06-02-2009 08:43 PM

I have a 2.5 gal. tank and I would put some endlers in it. They are related to guppies but smaller. I would suggest males only as a mixed pair would breed and over populate your small tank. 3 small males or some red cherry shrimp, a small school of 3 neon tetras, or glo-light tetras would be ok. Put some live plants in the tank.Make sure the tank is cycled and do 25% water change a week and put a product like cycle or easy balance in the tank once a week to maintain good water quality. I would buy a small heater for 2 gal, tank. I got mine at Walmart for a 2-5 gal tank for under $7. If it's warm in the late spring to summer in your area where you live I would not use a heater only in the colder months. Those fish I listed would work for a small tank. 3 of the above fish with maybe 2 cherry shrimp. I have had no problems with endlers. They are small like neon tetras and all males would add some nice color to the tank. Or enlder/hybrids look at www.swampriveraquatics.com
Sometime pet stores sell endlers as feeder fish really cheap. You can also get them on AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium related equipment and fish in an auction format! under endlers in the search. Petco has some tetras this month for a few weeks at 5 for $5 so they are $1 each.
Good luck!

Red Betta 06-03-2009 09:06 AM

Thanks a bunch i am looking into what you said thanks.

eileen 06-03-2009 10:39 AM

I forgot to mention filter. Did you tank come with a underground filter? If it did thats fine. I replaced mine in my 3. gal. shrimp tank and 2.5 gal. hospital tank with a azoo palm filter from Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products It is item# APD-14052 and only $8.99. I had to cut out the back of the light in my 2.5 gal to get it to fit in the back. It looks like a canister filter to a large tank and works well for desk top tanks of 2-5 gal. I added a bio sponge to the front of the water flow into the tanks.
Another good filter is Duetto Filter from Marineland item# APD-15470 It's $13.59 from FostersSmith. You can also check out the small filters at Petco or Petsmart but they are not as good as these for the price. You get what you pay for and is'nt your fish worth it to keep them healthy and happy! If you go with a shrimp tank only or have shrimp in it. You might want to cover the intake valve to the filter with a netting or pantyhose. If the shrimp have babies the babies will get sucked in the filter because they are so tiny. A good shrimp to start with is the Ghost shrimp for beginners. At Walmart they are about .39 cents each and are cheap at most pet stores. Make sure you do research on the fish you want to put in the tank. you can Google it. Tetras should be in a school of 3 for your tiny tank. Here is a few good shrimp sites you might want to check out:

Planet Inverts Home .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Crayfish and more.

shrimp comatibility chart
Dwarf Shrimp Compatibility Chart - Freshwater Shrimp - TheShrimpFarm.com

Good luck on you Nano tank!

Tyyrlym 06-03-2009 10:48 AM

Personally I want a small tank like that one day for plants and shrimp.

Arkamaic 06-03-2009 11:09 AM

I agree with eileen, and with Tyyrlym, if you don't want fish, or maybe just a few African dwarf frogs

@ Tyyrlm, that would be awesome, lately I've been interested in shrimp haha.