Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Pregnante Mollie (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/pregnante-mollie-24487/)

Aprocot 06-02-2009 07:43 PM

Pregnante Mollie

i have a mollie that is pregnant. her bellie is all swolen and i can see gray specks under here scales her whatever fin(the one you use to tell sex) is squard up. but the thing is 2 weeks ago i had mollie fry in my tank but non of my other mollies are pregnant. is this fish just showing bigger than last time she gave birth of did one of my other mollies give birth and i just didn't know it. last time there were only 3 mollie fry please explane to me how this conundrum happend and when should i start looking for more fry in my tank. i want to save as many as possible. i have a 50 gallon with only 9 fish and a frog and want more fish

eileen 06-03-2009 03:41 PM

Provide alot of plants real or fake. Floating and around the back of the tank. create hiding places in the tank. stack rocks to provide a cave like place for your fry to hide. Cover your tanks intake valve with netting or panyhose so that baby fry do not get sucked in the filter intake. With male and female livebearers you will have a lot of fry in no time. You can't keep them all and some wil survive to adulthood. You will have another batch of babies every 25-28 days. So relax and enjoy as long as you provide the above you will be overwelmed with fry in no time.

Aprocot 06-03-2009 11:25 PM

i am curently over planted and i also have a small 1 gallon tank that i curently have 9 fry. they are about 2 1/2 weeks old. i am pretty sure that the same fish that is pregnant now is the mom. she is just soooooooooooooooooooooo much fatter this time

Oldman47 06-04-2009 05:48 AM

I must disagree Eileen. I have actually separated and timed my molly. She drops fry at exactly 6 week intervals, not 4 weeks. I find that covering the filter inlet with any netting, a bag or panty hose or whatever, means a real problem trying to keep the cover from blocking all flow. Instead I use a piece of filter sponge with a slit in one end and slide it up over the filter inlet so that it looks like my picture. It takes forever to become blocked and reduces the flow rate at the surface of the sponge because there is such a large surface area for the flow to go through.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ngeInPlace.jpg

If I really want to save a lot of fry, I move the female to a well planted birth tank that is big enough for her to live in, not a breeder box. The tank needs adequate cover. That way she can relax and have her fry when the time comes.

mollies 06-04-2009 10:58 AM

I will agree with both of you eileen and ghreed. Ive used neting and sponges. Yes the neting dose block more but if thats all you have. Then use it. I would defanitly get a 10 gallon tank for the mommy. And heavaly plant the tank, would be best. Good luck.

Aprocot 06-06-2009 12:24 AM

is it normal for the pregnant fish to sink to the bottom of the tank or should i be worried

mollies 06-07-2009 09:01 PM

She may have an illness. I had a few do that and they ended up passing away. I finaly cut one open and she was full of a clear liquid. The rest of them have had fry. I have had them expload like a bomb hit them to by being stressed. Lately i have had no problems. Good luck. Dont let it bother you It is natural.

1077 06-08-2009 04:43 AM

I have kept mollies, platy's,and swordtails and have found that older females tend to produce more young than younger ones. They MUST have hard alkaline water or many young don't survive more than a few days and deformed babies are not uncommon. Floating plants on the surface are always a good idea ,,for babies are drawn to them to escape predation from adults. While thy are hiding in the floating plants they are easy to catch with a cup that draws them into it as it is placed near them in the water. I then placed them in breeder trap that hung in the SAME tank as adults but adults could not get to them. I fed them crushed flake foods for aprrox three weeks and usually by this time,, they were too large to viewed as food by the adults. Always good to throw some java moss or algae in the breeder trap for it is eaten by babies as well as providing all kinds of tiny organisims for them to eat as well.