Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   really need help on a setup guys and gals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/really-need-help-setup-guys-gals-24473/)

PCKid 06-02-2009 02:50 PM

really need help on a setup guys and gals

setting up a blue ram tank for a pair of them. i need to kno wat substrate, decor, lighting filter etc. please help me i really ned to kno

Byron 06-02-2009 03:21 PM

Lovely fish, rams, deserving of a nice home. They need to feel secure, so plants are best, with some open spaces between groups of plants; this is their natural habitat (the orinoco River basin and savannahs in Venezuela and Columbia, SA). If they spawn (and they probably will if the water is warm, soft and slightly acidic) they will lay eggs in depressions in the substrate or on rocks. Substrate may be sand or small gravel, your preference.

Main thing is the water chemistry; even though most are now raised commercially, many aquarists find they still do not fare well when the water is outside their natural preference. They are also sensitive to nitrates and deteriorating water conditions. Good filtration is important, but as they occur in very slow moving water and pools in nature they do not like water movement and the filter should be slow-flow so as not to create a current more than necessary to circulate the water.

Lighting is dependant upon the plants, but as this is a relative shy fish bright lighting should be avoided. Moderate to low-light plants (swords, crypts, annubias, java fern) would be ideal in their favoured water conditions, and 1-2 watts of full spectrum fluorescent light would suffice. Floating plants like the Indian Fern (Ceratopteris) would also help reduce the brightness.

Heat is critical, they are warmer water fish, around 80F. Suitable tankmates at this higher temp would be cardinal tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish, and small corys. I mentioned their shyness, and suitable quiet tankmates will help them feel more secure and keep them out a bit more. The females care of the eggs and fry is fascinating to watch.

PCKid 06-02-2009 03:26 PM

so do you kno of any good sites to buy aquarium supplies from so i can start looking?

Byron 06-02-2009 05:52 PM

I've never ordered aquarium stuff over the internet, so will leave this for those who have done so to respond with suggestions. I prefer to buy from a local store so I can deal with them if there are problems or anything. Good luck.

aunt kymmie 06-02-2009 06:05 PM

Three places that I have used and would recommend:

www.aquariumguys.com

www.thatpetplace.com

www.drsfostersmith.com

Like Byron, I prefer to deal with my LFS, but they don't always have what I need. I'll even pay a little extra for an item at my LFS even if I can get it over the internet cheaper as I like to be able to give them the business. I know that internet sales and big chain pet stores have driven sales down for the smaller LFS so I like to do what I can. In return I'm treated as if I'm their #1 customer. Works for me. :-)

PCKid 06-02-2009 06:09 PM

i would use the LFS but we dont have one near us we only have petsmart and pet supermarket :(