Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Please allow myself to introduce.... myself.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/please-allow-myself-introduce-myself-24462/)

RBReddin75 06-02-2009 07:22 AM

Please allow myself to introduce.... myself..

Hi-all...

I'm jumping into your hobby with both feet.. literally, I could fit inside my tank (it wouldn't be comfortable) and I'm 6' tall...

I've got a background in construction and can pretty much build/repair anything I can get my hands on (so i'm a DIY kinda guy - but I'll spend a couple hundred dollars to save me a full weekend of work)

enuff about me..

Here are my intentions:

I'd like to start a mixed reef tank that is relatively easy to keep clean (i've got a touch of OCD) and here's what I'm starting with:

*60X18X20 glass tank with overflow boxes in the corners (and Durso type standpipes)
*AMiracle ProLine 2000 trickle filter that has some cracking in the bulkheads that I plan on repairing with acrylic
*Fluval 404 canister filter
*Aquanetics UV sterilizer
*Several powerheads for circulation in the tank
*Berlin Classic Skimmer
*Blue Line 40HD-X external pump
*Canopy for the unit contains 2 MH lamps and 4 T12 HO fluorescents with actenic bulbs..
*Base cabinet to hide all this stuff...

I got all this stuff on trade from a buddy at work, it was used (from a guy that owned a LFS) and for the most part it all runs well and I was able to clean it up (with the exception of the pump, I've got to get another impeller assembly for that)..

What are my odds of being able to pull this off?

<oh and anyone who got the austin powers reference in my title gets a gold star for the day>

onefish2fish 06-02-2009 07:45 AM

loose the fluval, these trap debris and detritus causing issues. whats a trickle filter?

take your time and read. slow and steady wins the race, this cannot be stressed enough. look for a local reefing club as these are great for learning and meeting people with the same interests and usually a chance for some cheap stuff.

i like your tank size, its similiar if not the same as mine. do you have stocking plans? welcome to the forum.

Twistersmom 06-02-2009 08:07 AM

Rats!!! No gold star for me, I thought it was The Stones...

Can't help with the saltwater stuff, just wanted to say welcome to the foum!

mags2313 06-02-2009 08:08 AM

Trickle plate... Isn't that a plate or dish with holes in it that would prevent fish from getting right into the filter?

I got the Austin Powers reference...Now where is my golden star?

I hope you will be able to put pictures up as you get further along. 8)

dramaqueen 06-02-2009 08:19 AM

Hello and welcome to FishForum.

RBReddin75 06-02-2009 09:11 AM

'ello, 'ello.....

stocking plans:
Kauderns Cardinal
Two Spot Gobi
Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Royal Gramma
Catalina Goby
High Fin Red Banded Goby
Flame Scallop
Blue Maxima Clam
Derasa Clam
Pom Pom Crab
Emerald Crab
Hard Tube Cocoworm
Dragonets
Percula Clowns
Yellow Tang
Flame Hawkfish
Ruby head fairy wrasse
Blue Palythoa Coral
Fluorescent Green Leather Coral
Orange Cup Coral
Pink Birdsnest Coral
Red Brain Coral
Pineapple Brain Coral
Colony Polyp Coral
Trumpet Coral
Sebae Anemone
Longspine Urchin

I haven't checked the compatibility of all these fish/inverts/corals, it's just a quick wishlist (of course that's subject to change)

I wanted to have the reef section comprise approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank

<gold star, complete with salt creep, is in the mail>

RBReddin75 06-02-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mags2313 (Post 200713)
Trickle plate... Isn't that a plate or dish with holes in it that would prevent fish
I hope you will be able to put pictures up as you get further along. 8)

I will post before pictures of all this junk sitting in my garage... LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 200708)
loose the fluval, these trap debris and detritus causing issues. whats a trickle filter?
i like your tank size, its similiar if not the same as mine. do you have stocking plans? welcome to the forum.

I was considering keeping the fluval because I've got enough filter media to swap it out weekly to keep that buildup at bay..

Trickle filter is an older term for a wet/dry filter (the water from the overflows is distributed over bioballs by a plate with holes in it) that is located in the base cabinet..

I've seen trickle filter, sump, and wet/dry filter used to describe items that look very similar to me (I'm sure someone here can describe the differences between these three terms.. but I can't... I'm the noob)

RBReddin75 06-03-2009 09:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RBReddin75 (Post 200703)
... it was used (from a guy that owned a LFS) and for the most part it all runs well and I was able to clean it up (with the exception of the pump, I've got to get another impeller assembly for that)..

WOOHOO!!

Last night I was able to break down the pump and repair the impeller assembly.. I just saved myself over $150

Here are a couple pictures that were given to me of the stand and canopy (upside down on the stand)

I should have them in my possession this evening..

These pictures are of the "basement" where the tank has been for a year... it's NOT my place.. I told you I was a lil OCD.. I'd have to clean that place up.. it would bother me too much.. :wave:

willow 06-04-2009 01:49 PM

ello
Austin powers...........yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh babyyyyyyyyy
other than that i'm pants at guessing things.
welcome aboard,i hope you enjoy your stay here with us,
good luck with the tank,you're in great hands,the saltie peeps here have some awsome tanks,
and oodles of information.