All of my fish are dying...
I have a 55 gal tank. I use 2 filters. 1 rated to 40 gal on one end of the tank the other rated to 30 gal on the other end. The heater keeps the temp at 78. 2 air-pumps with 2 18" air-stones. I check the nitrites and Ph regularly and keep up with my water changes including gravel cleaning. In the past 2 weeks I have lost 7 or so fish. They all seem healthy one minute, completely dead the next. No odd swimming, funny colors, missing scales, shallow or deep breathing or flashing. I use tap water to which I add aqua-safe and neutral regulator. I add extra carbon to the 40 gal filter as it is a whisper with an open-able cartridge. I lost 3 molly's, 3 painted glass, 1 gold guarami, 1 beautiful black angel( my buddy), a 7 year old large pleco. Still living is an angel that came down with what i think is dropsy 3 days ago that i cant afford to treat, 3 red molly's, 1 emerald cory, 1 clown loach, 1 large pleco I got to replace my old one, 1 random catfish and a 6 or 7 inch black ghost knifefish I intend to move to a larger tank once he starts gettin bigger. The knifefish is the only aggressive fish and he keeps to himself unless someone comes in his tube which they don't. I pretty much gave up hope after my black angel died. He used to follow me around the room and if I reached in the tank for anything he would brush up against me. He was big and healthy and to see him happy one minute and dead the next made the whole situation seem kinda hopeless. Any thoughts?
Some more info would help us, specifically:
1. How long has the tank been running?
2. How often do you do water changes, and how much (roughly)? Do you use a water conditioner?
3. What is the pH in the tank, and of the water change replacement water?
4. Is the nitrite testing "0", and have you tested for ammonia?
5. Do you know the nitrate reading?
6. Any other things going in the water (like pH adjusters, meds, anything...)?
A few months ago there was a problem with my cities water system. Some how the sewage pipes broke and spilled into the freshwater system. So to fix it, the city put chlorine into the water system. Maybe your city put chlorine into the water system. Enough chlorine to get by the conditioners. All the excess chlorine will kill the ammonia eating bacteria leading to a buildup of ammonia. The mollies, being sensitive fish, are really susceptible to hi ammonia levels. I hear that angel fish are weaklings too. take a sample of the tap water and a sample of the aquarium water and take it to pet store. Buying those ammonia eating dissolving tablets are a quick fix; they sell them at pet co.
There is something else here, but austin77dc has to give us the requestd information before we can pin it down.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.