Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Recycled Reptilian Tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/recycled-reptilian-tanks-24237/)

FreshWaterTanker 05-25-2009 10:47 AM

Recycled Reptilian Tanks

It was just brought to my attention that my gently-used, but still in good working condition 55 gal tank was previously used to house snakes! That is a problem right? Is it true that after an aquarium was used for snakes you can never house any kind of fish in it? Sigh. Did I just buy another tank I cannot use for these Calicos?

FreshWaterTanker 05-25-2009 11:05 AM

I have heard that you cannot get the reptile urine out of the seals and the fish die. However, I have also heard that urine is mostly ammonia so as long as the ammonia levels are safe the fish will be too. I was told to add aquarium salt to it and let it cycle for about a week. Then to check the ammonia levels. If the levels were fine, then I could slowly add the fish.

If this tank does not work out, I have no idea what I going to do with my daughter's Calicos. I feel like I should have simply kept the modest 20 gal. All of the stress is quickly sucking the joy out of this project.

Cody 05-25-2009 11:24 AM

Just soak the entire tank with a bleach solution. It will kill the ammonia.

Is this a standard AGA aquarium, or is it an actual reptile tank (IE, with a sliding screen door at the top)?

IonBaller07 05-25-2009 11:32 AM

Well I keep one of my bettas in a 10g previously used by a leopard gecko, my betta is fine, but I suppose they are rather hardy fish.

Fishin Pole 05-25-2009 12:06 PM

If the tank you purchased was made for reptiles only, then what you have is a Kritter Kage or Kritter Keeper,,,,,,,seen these tanks with both names....These were not designed to hold water like an aquarium does.......The glass is thinner and the seals are not tested for water pressure like an aquarium is.....if you were talking a much smaller tank with alot less water pressure, it would probably be fine, but if the tank you purchased is stritcly for reptiles, i wouldnt trust it.......50 some gallons of water is alot to mop up........As Cody stated, a bleach solution with alot of rinsing will kill the nasties left from any snake........

FreshWaterTanker 05-25-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 198669)
Is this a standard AGA aquarium, or is it an actual reptile tank (IE, with a sliding screen door at the top)?

Cody,

The aquarium is an actual aquarium. Not a reptile tank. No sliding door.

Actually, there is no hood at all. The sale was just for the aquarium; no hood, stand or accessories included.

I need to take a picture of the aquarium and upload the photo here on the site to satisfy some readers, but I have to remove the aquarium from the backseat of the car first. Been there since yesterday.

Need another pair of hands to remove it and right now I just do not have them. It is just me and my daughter and she is too small to help lift the tank. So it continues to sit in the car.

FreshWaterTanker 05-25-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 198685)
If the tank you purchased was made for reptiles only, then what you have is a Kritter Kage or Kritter Keeper. seen these tanks with both name. These were not designed to hold water like an aquarium does. The glass is thinner and the seals are not tested for water pressure like an aquarium is. iif the tank you purchased is stritcly for reptiles, i wouldnt trust it.

Fishin Pole,

Never seen a "Kritter Kage" a.k.a. "Kritter Keeper". Guess I will have to continue on with my research.

To the best of my knowledge the 55 gal that I bought yesterday is an actual aquarium. Made out of clear glass and double-sealed with high quality silicone, much like a TopFin aquarium.

Great the project just keeps going from bad to worse. You would not trust it huh?

Any way to "test" the aquarium before actually using it i.e.washing it outside on the front porch, filling it completely with water and let it sit for a few days? If it leaks and/or busts at least the "mop up" will at least be outside.

JohnnyD44 05-25-2009 02:03 PM

Another thing to check for is the middle brace across the top of the tank....it doesn't look like it does much, but if your tank does not have one of these, it will not be able to hold water. I recently had a 55G tank where the brace was slowly starting to snap off of the frame on top of the tank...I noticed that the top of the tank was beginning to bow.....not good. Take a look to see if it has the brace across the top of the tank...if it's not there, it won't be able to hold water.

Is there any way you can ask the person you bought it from what kind of tank it was?? My first opinion would be to error on the side of caution due to the fact it may be thin glass

Mikaila31 05-25-2009 03:51 PM

My 20gal housed a European green toad for five years and then served as a fish tank for 2 years. I never had a single problem with it, though I eventually replaced it with a nicer tank.

FreshWaterTanker 05-25-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 198717)
Another thing to check for is the middle brace across the top of the tank. If your tank does not have one of these, it will not be able to hold water.

JohnnyD44,

If the plastic black strip that runs across the top of the aquarium (upper edges and/or frame) is the middle brace you are referring to, then yes, the 55 gal does have that.

Quote:

I recently had a 55G tank where the brace was slowly starting to snap off of the frame on top of the tank. I noticed that the top of the tank was beginning to bow.

Both of the the plastic black strips (upper/bottom edges and/or frame) are not cracked, I see no bowing effect.

Quote:

Is there any way you can ask the person you bought it from what kind of tank it was?

Yes. When I picked up the tank yesterday 05-24-09 I asked the previous owner 3 questions:

1.) Will the tank hold water? Previous owners answer: Yes. Extrememly heavy aquarium. Thick glass. Held water that they watched it with. Filled the tank, washed the inside, then drained.

2.) What was the tank originally used for? Previous owners answer: Snakes (forgot which type) they listed three. And if I had not responded to their ad, the previous owners were going to fill the tank with Bass fish.

3.) Where was the placement of the tank in their home? Previous owners answers: They had the tank in 3 separate locations in their home. #1: At one time they owned a tank stand that went with the aquarium, but unfortunately, they had sold it long before I replied to their ad. They "pieced out" their tank setup. #2) On the living room floor and #3.) on their bedroom dresser.