Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   seagull pool filter sand for pools and aquariums? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/seagull-pool-filter-sand-pools-aquariums-241921/)

volco 08-06-2013 12:54 PM

seagull pool filter sand for pools and aquariums?
 
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff I saw it at my local pool store. It has a darker color to it. 50lbs is $12? It says silica sand? Any thoughts good bad??

Boredomb 08-06-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volco (Post 2736329)
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff I saw it at my local pool store. It has a darker color to it. 50lbs is $12? It says silica sand? Any thoughts good bad??

There are lots of ppl that use pool filter sand in their tanks through what brand I couldn't tell ya. I know some are darker then others. I would suspect that it would be safe but again have never used pool filter sand. Btw all sand has silica in it. So no worries there.

volco 08-06-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2737905)
There are lots of ppl that use pool filter sand in their tanks through what brand I couldn't tell ya. I know some are darker then others. I would suspect that it would be safe but again have never used pool filter sand. Btw all sand has silica in it. So no worries there.

Ah alrighty. Yeah sorry if this post seems very similar to my other one lol XD. It's just that I found the seagull sand and it said for aquariums but it seems like a darker sand and I want something a little lighter and trying to find what I want in my area is proving to be hard for some reason O_o....I know caribsea has what they call "Super Naturals" and it seems to be decent but I have heard mixed reviews. Who would think deciding this would be such a challange @_@

Boredomb 08-06-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volco (Post 2737961)
Ah alrighty. Yeah sorry if this post seems very similar to my other one lol XD. It's just that I found the seagull sand and it said for aquariums but it seems like a darker sand and I want something a little lighter and trying to find what I want in my area is proving to be hard for some reason O_o....I know caribsea has what they call "Super Naturals" and it seems to be decent but I have heard mixed reviews. Who would think deciding this would be such a challange @_@

No worries there. Have you looked at play sand?? Some of those can be light in color and is as cheap as pool filter sand. You just usually have to rinse it more as there is usually more dust in them but is safe for aquariums as well.

volco 08-06-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2738025)
No worries there. Have you looked at play sand?? Some of those can be light in color and is as cheap as pool filter sand. You just usually have to rinse it more as there is usually more dust in them but is safe for aquariums as well.

I looked at wal mart and it looked about the same as the pool filter sand. I haven't tried lowes or home depot but I know they have quikrete playsand and they also have pavestone pool filter sand. At least online anyways :P I remember calling them and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about lol.

Boredomb 08-06-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volco (Post 2738105)
I looked at wal mart and it looked about the same as the pool filter sand. I haven't tried lowes or home depot but I know they have quikrete playsand and they also have pavestone pool filter sand. At least online anyways :P I remember calling them and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about lol.

I know I got quikrete playsand from Lowes that was kinda light to me. It might not be as light as pool filter sand. I personally like the darker sand soo not really sure where to get light sand at... Ohh have you checked ACE as I think I remember someine saying they had pool filter sand at one time. Through it might be too late in the season for them now?

volco 08-06-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2738177)
I know I got quikrete playsand from Lowes that was kinda light to me. It might not be as light as pool filter sand. I personally like the darker sand soo not really sure where to get light sand at... Ohh have you checked ACE as I think I remember someine saying they had pool filter sand at one time. Through it might be too late in the season for them now?

I did call Ace for pool filter sand and I don't believe they had it but they did have quikrete playsand? I assume you used it in your aquarium? If so what was your experience with it??? Did it cloud up really bad?? One concern I had is would it get really hard when in water?

Boredomb 08-06-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volco (Post 2738225)
I did call Ace for pool filter sand and I don't believe they had it but they did have quikrete playsand? I assume you used it in your aquarium? If so what was your experience with it??? Did it cloud up really bad?? One concern I had is would it get really hard when in water?

Yeah I have used it in my tanks. Have changed it for a different sand now. Simply due to the color. It wont cloud the water bad as long as you rinse in a bucket outside first really good before you add it to your tank. The more you rinse it the less dust will get into your tank and cloud the water. It might still some but not bad and they will settle usually in a day or two.

As for becoming really hard in the water mine never did but I have always had Malaysian trumpet snails to aerate the substrate.

volco 08-06-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2738377)
Yeah I have used it in my tanks. Have changed it for a different sand now. Simply due to the color. It wont cloud the water bad as long as you rinse in a bucket outside first really good before you add it to your tank. The more you rinse it the less dust will get into your tank and cloud the water. It might still some but not bad and they will settle usually in a day or two.

As for becoming really hard in the water mine never did but I have always had Malaysian trumpet snails to aerate the substrate.


Ah it's funny you mention that because the guy I was talking to at the fish store mentioned malaysian trumpet snails to me lol. What have you switched to now??

Boredomb 08-06-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volco (Post 2738417)
Ah it's funny you mention that because the guy I was talking to at the fish store mentioned malaysian trumpet snails to me lol. What have you switched to now??

Sakete multi purpose sand. Its the close I can get around here that looks natural to me.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...pse091d8e5.jpg

You can see it there. It has sand and smooth gravel in it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2