Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Dwarf Neon Rainbows interested in breeding them (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/dwarf-neon-rainbows-interested-breeding-them-24171/)

Tigerfish 05-23-2009 09:49 AM

Dwarf Neon Rainbows interested in breeding them

Hello everyone,

I have a 28 gal newly established tank of 3 wks, I first added 1 male betta and yesterday added 2 dwarf neon rainbows to the tank. My main interest after the tank has been established to add more rainbows to the school ( more females to ratio of males), and make the partments right for breeding. Any suggestions? This is my first time taking care of rainbows and want then to live a healthy life.

Thank you for all the input

TigerFish

IonBaller07 05-23-2009 10:13 AM

Well I dont know how to breed them but if you do you might not want to buy many more, because youll need room for the future fry.

Tigerfish 05-23-2009 11:14 AM

IonBallar,
How many more rainbows should I get to make room for the fry? Also do you know anyone here in the fourms who would know how to breed rainbows?

Thank you

Tigerfish 05-31-2009 03:25 PM

Hi ppl!
New to the forum, at the moment my 28 gal tank has been setup 4wks now!

My Question: What is the best way to breed rainbowfish? The setup?, What should I use for the eggs anchor?, What ratio of fish per my size tank?, What should I feed the parents and fry? All experiences would be very helpful as I am new to taking care of rainbows.

So far have added total of 3 fish:
1 male crowntail betta
2 pair of neon dwarf rainbowfish
and 2 plants.

Tank in the cycling process has diatoms or brown algae, cleaning the sides everyday. Parameters: Amm: 0 Nitrite: 0 PH: 7.6 and Nitrate: reads 0 (test kit exp.) Temp is 77-80 due to sun light

Equiptment used: 50 watt heater, 17 watt light bulb, Whisper 40 w/ bio filter.

Thank you so much for the help,

Tigerfish

Tigerfish 06-03-2009 11:46 AM

To update on my tank Nitrate reads 5pp

another note my male has developed which looks like a peice of scale on his lip anyone knows what it could be?

Thanks for all your help,

TigerFish

My LFS is getting a new shipment of rainbows and java moss i'm excited to get the ball rolling!

SueK 08-26-2009 07:19 AM

A word of caution on Bettas with Rainbowfish. I did it for awhile and it seemed to work great, but I eventually lost my Betta. The rainbowfish never touched him, but talking with lots of Betta people the working theory is that all the energy and activity of the rainbows was too much for him.

bary trotter 09-18-2009 05:01 PM

im trying to breed a egg laying fish for the first time too and im doing the australan rainbows also none as the banded rainbowfish which is suposedly the easest to breed