Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   High Alkalinity. Everything else fine. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/high-alkalinity-everything-else-fine-241529/)

Dveha 08-05-2013 07:00 PM

High Alkalinity. Everything else fine.
 
I took a reading on my water today and everything is fine, except my alkaline reading which is very high. Why would it suddenly spike and how can I fix it?

djembekah 08-05-2013 07:59 PM

did you check your tap water? if you live in a city, your water supply could have been altered a bit.

Dveha 08-06-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djembekah (Post 2731457)
did you check your tap water? if you live in a city, your water supply could have been altered a bit.

I am on well water. All my water runs through a culligan water system as well. I checked the tap and my system and they appear to be fine. What else could be the culprit?

djembekah 08-06-2013 01:46 PM

Hm. What is the pH exactly, and what was it before? Have you added any chemicals or maybe even strange ornaments?
Posted via Mobile Device

Agent13 08-06-2013 01:49 PM

Also how are you testing?

Dveha 08-07-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djembekah (Post 2736713)
Hm. What is the pH exactly, and what was it before? Have you added any chemicals or maybe even strange ornaments?
Posted via Mobile Device

The pH is about 7.0 and hasn't fluxuated even after the water change. I did use a different water conditioner this time. I usually use the Tetra brand but I ran out and tried API brand. No strang ornaments.

Dveha 08-07-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2736737)
Also how are you testing?

Jungle Test Strips - 1 for ammonia and a 5-in-1 for the rest

djembekah 08-07-2013 01:30 PM

Strips don't work as well as liquid tests. they're not as accurate. but its still strange your readings changed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agent13 08-07-2013 03:29 PM

I've played with test strips for fun. 8 strips on same tank within minutes of each one. Came out with a couple that were VERY different results . Try a liquid test to verify that your strips are be truthful


Sent from Petguide.com App

Dveha 08-08-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2746314)
I've played with test strips for fun. 8 strips on same tank within minutes of each one. Came out with a couple that were VERY different results . Try a liquid test to verify that your strips are be truthful


Sent from Petguide.com App

Thanks, I'll check PetSmart for one on my way home today.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2