Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Is my guppy a bully? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-guppy-bully-241401/)

Dveha 08-05-2013 05:00 PM

Is my guppy a bully?
 
I have a male fancy guppy named "Zippy" in a tank with 2 mollies and 3 platys (he had a guppy friend once upon a time). He is ALWAYS chasing the platys (all male) around the tank, especially "Argo" who is twice his size, and nipping at his size.

Is this normal fish antics or is my guppy a bully?

djembekah 08-05-2013 09:08 PM

I don't have a ton of livebearer experience, but he might be lonely for other guppies. it could be worth a shot to add a few more guppies. what size is the tank?

hopefully a person more experienced with livebearers will pop in and add their two cents :)

Dveha 08-06-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djembekah (Post 2731545)
I don't have a ton of livebearer experience, but he might be lonely for other guppies. it could be worth a shot to add a few more guppies. what size is the tank?

hopefully a person more experienced with livebearers will pop in and add their two cents :)

I had another guppy but he did not survive. Somehow his tailfin sustained damage and he could not swim anymore.

Agent13 08-06-2013 02:38 PM

Male guppy's are bully's. So your guppy is acting like a guppy:-D . He will always do that. My kids have had 3 Fancy male guppys in their shrimp tank for something like a yr or maybe longer. They bully each other . They go nippy crazy and spin in a circle together(kinda looks like a merry-go-round) till a plant get in the way and then they chill out. They best way to keep him from being too aggressive is give him plants and hides to investigate..and they enjoy a high flow so if you dont have a nice high flow area you may want to find a way to create one. It's entertainment they need.

Dveha 08-06-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2736625)
Male guppy's are bully's. So your guppy is acting like a guppy:-D . He will always do that. My kids have had 3 Fancy male guppys in their shrimp tank for something like a yr or maybe longer. They bully each other . They go nippy crazy and spin in a circle together(kinda looks like a merry-go-round) till a plant get in the way and then they chill out. They best way to keep him from being too aggressive is give him plants and hides to investigate..and they enjoy a high flow so if you dont have a nice high flow area you may want to find a way to create one. It's entertainment they need.

Thanks. I worry that he is stressing out my other fish with his antics. I don't have a planted tank and he doesn't seem to care a bit about my fake ones lol.

Agent13 08-06-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dveha (Post 2737513)
Thanks. I worry that he is stressing out my other fish with his antics. I don't have a planted tank and he doesn't seem to care a bit about my fake ones lol.

He very well might be. I wasn't saying they like or care about the plants. It just gets in their way when they try to harass others(which helps). I'm 90% certain my kids guppies do not care at all about the plants. They just like to ride the "filter flow roller coaster", eat, and harass each other.

Dveha 08-07-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2737745)
He very well might be. I wasn't saying they like or care about the plants. It just gets in their way when they try to harass others(which helps). I'm 90% certain my kids guppies do not care at all about the plants. They just like to ride the "filter flow roller coaster", eat, and harass each other.

How do I tell if it is pissing off or stressing out the other fish?

RackinRocky 08-10-2013 01:06 AM

Clamped fins will mean the fish is unhappy because of bullying, or hiding a lot. My male guppies play tag, but they're never mean to each other. The one that was too rough was taken out and moved to a community tank (no other guppies) and he's perfectly happy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2