Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Member Submitted Articles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/member-submitted-articles/)
-   -   Thermometers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/member-submitted-articles/thermometers-241393/)

Phatz 08-05-2013 04:58 PM

Thermometers

Thermometers IMO one of the most essential pieces of equipment needed for a fish tank, but all the ones I have used are all inaccurate and I think its one piece of equipment that needs to be built better and more accurate in reading the TRUE temp not a different temp in each spot of the tank I check. I get rather frustrated as I never know the true temp of my tank. I have the heater set to 76 degrees room temp is about 77-78 degrees but everytime I use a digi thermometer it tells me my temp is 81 degrees and when I use my hang on thermometer I get 78-80 degrees. Yet when I stick my hand in the water sometimes the water feels way warmer like 86 degrees (and that's too hot for my pepper cories)
And others it feels like 74 or lower... Right now im monitoring temp by my hand if its too warm I blow a fan on the tank if its too cold I turn heat up what I want to know are there any real good and VERY ACCURATE thermometers out there right now that anyone could recommend?

rjordan390 08-05-2013 08:40 PM

It may be time to replace the battery in your digital. My digital was not giving correct readings. After replacing the battery, I remembered I had a mercury filled thermometer and used that to test the water temperature and compare it to the digital and digital reading was the same.

Agent13 08-05-2013 08:49 PM

infrared temp gun! I have one for my dragon because her temps need extreme accuracy and for fun I started pointing it at my aquariums water at the surface by the thermometers that were in there. Not very shocked that they are off. Not far..as little as 1 degree to as much as 6(on one). So I would look for one of those if I were you. It's pretty nice to have on hand.

Tracy Bird 08-06-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2731345)
infrared temp gun!

Never heard of these before, sounded very interesting - pulled up a search on ebay and they look reasonably priced (China Brands)... So you just point them at the water and they produce a reading?.. And they are accurate?

I agree with the original poster, I have a need to do a much better job watching and recording my temps.

Post up peeps and let us know what's working for you in terms of temperature monitoring...

Agent13 08-06-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy Bird (Post 2733170)
Never heard of these before, sounded very interesting - pulled up a search on ebay and they look reasonably priced (China Brands)... So you just point them at the water and they produce a reading?.. And they are accurate?

I agree with the original poster, I have a need to do a much better job watching and recording my temps.

Post up peeps and let us know what's working for you in terms of temperature monitoring...

Yes Tracy. Those ..even the off brands are very accurate. Only danger with them is you will find yourelf taking the temp of your hands, your floor.. the food you cooked, your windowsill .. But hey..at least they are accurate :lol:

And you can see the difference from one spot of the tank to another very quickly. Just point about 4 inches above the water and click.. that simple.

Tracy Bird 08-06-2013 01:06 AM

I'm definetly going to get one....

You only missed one use agent: How bout accuracy in reading how pissed a spouse gets by their temperature!? ....

They want to argue and then you whip this out and point it at em'... then you give them their temperature so they'll cool down - anger control device :-D

Agent13 08-06-2013 01:09 AM

hahaha.. I took everyones temp in my house the day it arrived. OMG yes. Put it on you wrist and keep it handy for ANYTHING. I swear I don't even want to tell you al the things I pointed mine at. bwahahaha

rjordan390 08-06-2013 06:26 AM

Check the accuracy of these low cost infared guns. One of them on E-Bay had an accuracy of + or - 1.8 degrees F. Not any better then an otc thermometer.

jaysee 08-06-2013 11:00 AM

I don't monitor temperature at all (I have one thermometer). My tanks are unheated. I know what the ambient air temp is, so I have a good idea of what the tanks are at.

There is this obsession with keeping fish at the top of their preferred temp range, as if that's somehow what's best. Believe it or not, many of the "tropical" fish in the trade don't need 80 degree water.

Temperature fluctuations are normal in nature - only in our aquariums do the fish get a constant temp.....

Agent13 08-06-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2735105)
I don't monitor temperature at all (I have one thermometer). My tanks are unheated. I know what the ambient air temp is, so I have a good idea of what the tanks are at.

There is this obsession with keeping fish at the top of their preferred temp range, as if that's somehow what's best. Believe it or not, many of the "tropical" fish in the trade don't need 80 degree water.

Temperature fluctuations are normal in nature - only in our aquariums do the fish get a constant temp.....

Oh hush.. infrared temp guns are fun! Let them get one..because when they get it things get crazy and they'll know temps of things nobody ever needs to get temps of. Plus I can check if my kids have a fever in 1second flat.
I agree that temps fluctuate a but but having these things can come in handy as long as they do not obsess on "perfect" temps constantly. Actually funny though.. I got mine to make sure there was a good gradient of temp in the dragons home..plus a proper even fluctuation that would be more like nature. Plus how many people can say that this their dogs left ear tends to be be 94.5f ?:lol:

As for accuracy rjordan390.. The ones from ebay tend to notoriously be off. Amazon is better and in stores as well. I check mine against my digital temp probe in the dragons enclosure and the one at the vet. it's right and it's the zoomed one.