Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   New Tank/powerhead setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/new-tank-powerhead-setup-24134/)

JerzeeFishies 05-21-2009 07:25 PM

New Tank/powerhead setup

First of all, I am new to the marine aquarium world and new to fishforum. I have a newly cycled tank (45 Gallon Bowfront) with 5 new inhabitants. 3 Saddleback Clowns, 1 Hippo Tang and 1 Flame Angelfish. I am currently using a CA 1800 Powerhead (650 gph) and about to upgrade to a Wavemaker (800 gph). I was wondering if this is good, bad, ugly? I do not currently have any coral in the tank however once everything is stable and my coil denitrator is broken in (my do it yourself project), I would like to. So to get back on track, is the CA 1800 good to stick with? Would the Wavemaker (800 gph) be too much for the 45 Gal bowfront? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

JerzeeFishies

onefish2fish 05-21-2009 09:29 PM

your tank is overstocked IMO. the hippo is the biggest issue. plans for upgrades? what kind of skimmer? lights? other equipment?

ive had 2,000-3,000gph flowing through my 46bowfront when i had it. you dont want sand storms and you want as little dead spots in the tank. disrupting the surface with the flow is good too.

im interested in hearing more on your setup. what is this denitrator? do you have a sump? how long has the tank been setup? anything else you can include?

regardless, welcome to the forum. another NJ member :wink:

JerzeeFishies 05-22-2009 05:11 AM

New Tank/Powerhead

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Rena XPStar XP1 Canister witha drip setup, T5 Light setup, AquaEuro USA Chiller since my apartment gets too hot if the A/C isn't on. No skimmer yet but that is my next item and no sump/refugium. I know it's pretty much mandatory, I just got told I can go back to that one since I have a drip filter to disrupt the surface. A 35 lb. Limstone Base slab, 25 lbs. Fiji Live rock and 30 lbs. Bali Alor Live Rock. The denitrator is a PVC pipe with 1/4 tubing coiled inside and bio balls filling the center. The scientific is that it is depleted of air, the bacteria within become anaerobic and consume the nitrates/nitrogen. Kinda circumvents the sulfur denitrator. It has to be cycled for the bacteria to colonize it.

Thanks for the welcome and info.

Pasfur 05-22-2009 05:46 AM

A picture is so valuable....

The denitrator, although not common, should prove to be very effective. There are a lot of old school hobbyists who used these, primary as a method to keep nitrates low on systems with biological filtration. It is probably not needed, but won't hurt.

Your sand bed is nice, but you need to smooth it over. I know it looks nice as it is, but you want equal depths across the aquarium to encourage the correct bacteria growths. The ideal depth is 4-6''. Any areas under 4'' tend to become long term nutrient traps and contribute to algae growth. For the record, under 1'' is also an option.

Over the long term, and preferably sooner than later, you will want to remove the canister filter. Any form of mechanical filtration in the marine hobby can cause long term problems. Canister filters, being very effective mechanical filters, can be highly problematic. The act of mechanical filtration traps organic waste, preventing it from being removed from the water (by the protein skimmer). These organics break down the carbonate buffer system and indirectly add phosphate to the water. The regulation of alkalinity and calcium are your biggest long term concerns, and you are making this more difficult with the use of a canister filter.

The protein skimmer is optional for the first 1 or 2 months, but it is critical that you obtain a high quality skimmer ASAP. You do not necessarily have to have a sump system. You can use a hang on skimmer, especially on aquariums under 55 gallons in size. Adding a skimmer is far more important and urgent than a wavemaker.

JerzeeFishies 05-22-2009 03:44 PM

Thanks for the input, any recommendations on hang on skimmers?

JerzeeFishies 05-22-2009 05:30 PM

Re:

Well I just made an online purchase for an Aqua C Remora, a little pricy but I'd rather have a reliable skimmer than save a buck... Now I have to reconfigure for my chiller and denitrator in line... A PROJECT! I love it!

princesuhaib 05-22-2009 08:18 PM

Congrats, lookin nice!

JerzeeFishies 05-23-2009 07:37 PM

RE:

Thanks, i was definitely heartbroken today. I made a bad judgement by getting the flame angelfish this early... The nitrite spike from introducing them all took its toll on him, he's gone... He just couldn't make it.