Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Advice on adding new fish to existing tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/advice-adding-new-fish-existing-tank-24095/)

Ferayne 05-20-2009 05:38 AM

Advice on adding new fish to existing tank.

I have a small tank, a little less than 25L. (I have no idea what that is in gallons, but I know it's quite small. I have no room for a large tank, unfortunately.)

I currently have a Bala shark, Redtail shark and a bristlenose. I was hoping to add a corydora, probably bronze, and some neon tetras. My questions are:

1. I know the corydora won't pose a problem but will the tetras be a bother to the sharks?
2. Is that too many fish? In the same tank I used to have 3 tetras, a bronze corydora and 2 dwarf gourami.
3. What plants would you recommend? At the moment I only have a little anubias in a terracotta pot.
4. What's the best way to clean the driftwood for the bristlenose?

Thanks.

Fishin Pole 05-20-2009 06:07 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum

Well i personally dont think you can add anymore fish at this point until you upgrade to a larger tank.........The bala shark will outgrow your tank within months, if it hasnt already......The redtail shark i think is gonna become an aggression issue with any other bottom dwellers you put in there, so adding a peaceful fish such as corries, is just asking for trouble..........I personally think you need to re-home the 2 sharks.....Then you would have some space to add some more fish..Adding tetras or cories, i dont think is such a good idea, they both like to be and do better when they are living in small shoals of their own kind.......I'm sorry if everything im saying is not what you want to hear, but your tank is just simply to small for all those fish.......

Ferayne 05-20-2009 06:13 AM

I was planning on moving the bala and redtail to a larger tank at some point. The bala is still quite small, not even 10cm yet. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get the larger tank.

:) Thanks very much for your advice. And don't apologise, I was fairly certain adding extra fish might be a problem.

Tyyrlym 05-20-2009 06:37 AM

You're not only way overstocked already but your tank is just too small.

A couple words of warning. The bala is a schooling fish and really should be kept with others of its own kind. It can also grow to over 12 inches (30 cm) and is a highly active swimmer. They should be kept in tanks six foot long at a minimum.

The red tailed shark is a territorial bottom dweller. He will stake out a claim on the bottom and defend it. Good news is that if you get a tank large enough for the bala the red tail will have more than enough room to share with a BN and some cories.

1) No, the bala is fairly tame though I have heard stories of bala's eating tiny tank mates when they get full grown. Most tetras are mid to upper levels swimmers and will rarely come in contact with the red tail.
2) Beyond a shadow of a doubt. That's already too many fish for a 25L tank.
3) Depends entirely on your light. What kind and wattage do you have?
4) Is it already in the tank? If so just suck the large particles off it with your gravel vac when you change water and that's it. No one cleans their wood in the wild.

Ferayne 05-20-2009 07:08 AM

Thank you. I was aware of the bala shark's size and schooling habits, and as I mentioned in my previous post I was planning on a larger tank specifically for sharks. It was originally going to be for gourami, but...yeah. Once the larger tank was established I was hoping to get 2 more balas, along with assorted catfish and maybe some gouramis. I have read about balas eating tetras, so I might keep them in the smaller tank. The large tank I'm getting is about 40L I think, so the redtail shouldn't pose too much of a threat.

1. So I could add tetras to the larger tank?
2. Ah...That could be a slight problem. Time to start working on that bigger one.
3. It's just a little 8watt fluorescent.
4. Great, thanks :)

Tyyrlym 05-21-2009 09:40 AM

1) Largely depends on which tetras and if you care if the bala's might eat them. If you want to add a smaller species like neons and absolutely couldn't stand the thought of them getting eaten then don't. If you're willing to accept a little risk or add larger species go for it.
3) I'm guessing you have an Eclipse system? If so take a look at my Eclipse. I've currently got a crypt and a java fern growing quite nicely under the stock light.