Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Sand substrate might hurt my filter?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/sand-substrate-might-hurt-my-filter-240641/)

volco 08-04-2013 05:42 PM

Sand substrate might hurt my filter??

1 Attachment(s)
I was wanting to use a sand substrate for my fish tank but after reading up on it I have been hearing that sand is known to hurt the impeller?? Is that really the case and if so is there anything I can do to prevent it or a low budget solution? Please help!

Thank You!

Austin 08-04-2013 05:52 PM

Maybe keep the intake tube far enough from the filter that it won't suck up sand.

volco 08-04-2013 06:25 PM

Not sure what that means exactly I am a noob when it comes to fish tanks sorry lol XD

JDM 08-04-2013 06:27 PM

Ditto.

Cleaned well there is no reason that grit will get in there... but in an HOB it can and will sit in the bottom messing with the impeller. Just turn it off when cleaning and stirring up the bottom.

Jeff.

Boredomb 08-04-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 2722217)
Ditto.

Cleaned well there is no reason that grit will get in there... but in an HOB it can and will sit in the bottom messing with the impeller. Just turn it off when cleaning and stirring up the bottom.

Jeff.

Either you can do that or you can get a sponge and place where the screen is on the bottom of the intake.

Austin 08-04-2013 06:49 PM

***I meant keep the intake far enough from the sand... Haha sorry. I just mean keep the tube that sucks up the water a few inches above the sand. Maybe more f you have fish that will stir it up. And the other suggestions are great too.

volco 08-04-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 2722377)
***I meant keep the intake far enough from the sand... Haha sorry. I just mean keep the tube that sucks up the water a few inches above the sand. Maybe more f you have fish that will stir it up. And the other suggestions are great too.

ah okay gotcha and yeah all suggestions sound good. And with the sponge you mean put it in the tube? wouldn't that clog it up?? or maybe i am misunderstanding. A simple turning it off during water changes makes sense also lol forgot about that.

JDM 08-04-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volco (Post 2722529)
ah okay gotcha and yeah all suggestions sound good. And with the sponge you mean put it in the tube? wouldn't that clog it up?? or maybe i am misunderstanding. A simple turning it off during water changes makes sense also lol forgot about that.

Funny, I knew what Austin meant but didn't catch the error.

Sponge goes around the outside of the intake, not inside as it would clog up faster inside. A little care and attention goes a long way with something like this.

Jeff.

jentralala 08-04-2013 08:20 PM

Take the screen off, and put a sponge there instead (try the fluval prefilter, it may fit). Just take it off and rinse it in the tap at every water change after you've turned off the filter.

Boredomb 08-04-2013 08:26 PM

Yes sorry, on the outside like others have said. You can simply turn it off when messing with the substrate ans then wait for it to settle before turning it on but if you have super fine sand and a fish that likes to mess in it I would recommend a sponge.