Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   nitrite/nitrate high (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/nitrite-nitrate-high-2404/)

jjwin98 01-11-2007 03:59 PM

nitrite/nitrate high

hi i have a 75g fowlr i just got done my cycle on the tank about a 3 weekago every thing was going fine (HAD 1 damsel)lost the fish (can`t find it now) and the nitrite and nitrate are sky high person at lfs said the fish died, and wait it out the leveles will come down but i can`t find any thing from the fish no bones ect.that was about 5 days ago now i afraid to add more fish with the levels so high please help thanks
PH ----8.2
ammonia---- 0
nitrite----5.0
nitrate----80

usmc121581 01-11-2007 04:25 PM

Yes the levels should lower on there on. But do about a 50% water change and keep an eye on the levels. Dont add any more fish till the levels lower dramatically.

Derek-M 01-12-2007 06:45 AM

You really need to get the nitrate level down to under 25 ppm... I think you may have overfed the fish and this is why the nitrite levels have risen to 5...Just make sure there is no uneaten food lying around the tank as decomposing food strips O2 from the water and will also add to the high nitrite.. As stated earlier keep the water changes going until you get the readings down

jjwin98 01-15-2007 10:59 AM

ok everything is going good now the nitrite/nitrate is down thanks for advice but i have a brown alge? on the glass and on base rock i think it is ok but just want to make sure is it just alge or should i worried about it
thanks jeff

Derek-M 01-15-2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjwin98
ok everything is going good now the nitrite/nitrate is down thanks for advice but i have a brown alge? on the glass and on base rock i think it is ok but just want to make sure is it just alge or should i worried about it
thanks jeff

Yes it is algae and nothing to worry about. Once you have a pleco in the tank it will take care of the algae on the glass. To clean the rocks place them in direct sunlight and they will soon be back to their natural state

caferacermike 01-15-2007 11:38 AM

Derek you know I love ya right bud?

I don't think a plec is going to make it very long in that salt tank. I've never owned any plecos so I'm not to sure.

You are experiencing a diatomaceous algae bllom, a normal part of cycling a salt tank. IMO, I do not think your tank is near ready for any fish.

At this point you have not defined any sort of filtration, lighting, live rock (how much), Nothing to help us understand what is cycling your tank. The death and subsequent decay of your fish leads me to believe that your tank has only now begun to cycle. I would suggest a large water change as USMC advised and then a lot of patience. Let it sit for 3 weeks undisturbed. When the algae disappears you will be a lot closer.

Derek-M 01-16-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
Derek you know I love ya right bud?

I don't think a plec is going to make it very long in that salt tank. I've never owned any plecos so I'm not to sure.

You are experiencing a diatomaceous algae bllom, a normal part of cycling a salt tank. IMO, I do not think your tank is near ready for any fish.

At this point you have not defined any sort of filtration, lighting, live rock (how much), Nothing to help us understand what is cycling your tank. The death and subsequent decay of your fish leads me to believe that your tank has only now begun to cycle. I would suggest a large water change as USMC advised and then a lot of patience. Let it sit for 3 weeks undisturbed. When the algae disappears you will be a lot closer.

:omg: :dunno: why I missed that Mike..Old age catching up and needing new reading glasses :oops: .. A saltwater pleco!! I could sell that till the cows come home lol

caferacermike 01-16-2007 07:08 AM

It's because deep at heart you are a pleco nutter. I've seen your posts, so pleco oriented.

Lupin 01-16-2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
It's because deep at heart you are a pleco nutter. I've seen your posts, so pleco oriented.

:bluelaugh: :bluelaugh: I just noticed Derek posted in the wrong forum.:checkedout: