Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   LFS says buy a "starter fish" to cycle tank. Cruel? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/lfs-says-buy-starter-fish-cycle-24030/)

Killgore Trout 05-17-2009 04:23 PM

LFS says buy a "starter fish" to cycle tank. Cruel?

Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm glad to be here! :lol:

So after months of planning, my first saltwater tank is up and running (20 gal tall). Right now its only been a week with LR/LS, NO FISH.

I'm not seeing any ammonia at all in my tank (waiting for my cycle), and the LFS guy is telling me to get a clown or damsel as a "starter fish"

I feel like this is kind of cruel as the cycle in a tank can be abrasive.

Should I buy a "starter fish?"

Thanks guys.

PS. I bought two turbo snails today on a whim ($1 each) and am assimilating them to my tank now, will these guys help the ammonia / cycle start?

petlover516 05-17-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killgore Trout (Post 196429)
Should I buy a "starter fish?"
No please don't. u are very right its cruel. cycling with fish is an inhumane way to set-up your tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killgore Trout (Post 196429)
PS. I bought two turbo snails today on a whim ($1 each) and am assimilating them to my tank now, will these guys help the ammonia / cycle start?

yes they will, but i doubt they will survive the cycle.

onefish2fish 05-17-2009 09:09 PM

where did the rock come from? an established tank?

put a raw shrimp ( the kind from the supermarket ) in the tank. this will feed your cycle.

mind sharing more on your setup?
welcome to the forum.

Killgore Trout 05-17-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 196584)
where did the rock come from? an established tank?

put a raw shrimp ( the kind from the supermarket ) in the tank. this will feed your cycle.

mind sharing more on your setup?
welcome to the forum.

Hey thanks,
I have a 20 gal tall FOWLR tank that is almost 1 week old. I got the rock from a LFS here and its fairly hearty.

I put some Omega 1 fish food in the tank today (7 pellets)
Do you think putting a shrimp in here with the pellets is overkill?

princesuhaib 05-17-2009 10:17 PM

can you tell us how you have your tank set up and what equipment you are using please?
thank you

Pasfur 05-17-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princesuhaib (Post 196600)
can you tell us how you have your tank set up and what equipment you are using please?
thank you

I agree. The ammonia and nitrite cycle will vary depending on the setup. My 180 never had a reading of ammonia or nitrite, due to the amount of live rock used. This is not uncommon.

Killgore Trout 05-17-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 196602)
I agree. The ammonia and nitrite cycle will vary depending on the setup. My 180 never had a reading of ammonia or nitrite, due to the amount of live rock used. This is not uncommon.

Right now all I have running is my Koralia 1 powerhead and my Top Fin 20 hang on filter, but the filter doesn't have any media in it.

I'm kind of banking on the LR doing all the work. I have about 15-16 pounds right now.

I just put two turbos in there today, and they're definitely eating stuff off the rocks, so I assume they're happy

Any diagnosis?